Chapter 37

My eyes were still wide and my hair untamed as I hobbled into the lunchroom that evening. Though it might’ve just be a figment of my imagination, since no was supposed to know about our little stunt, I couldn’t shake off the feeling that I was now really one of the dauntless. I lingered at the door, remembering just how I’d barely managed to escape the latest fiasco, and let out a contented breath.

                On impulse and without any sort of premeditated calculation, I’d unsnapped my buckle at the last second before impact; hoping and praying that rather than fall face-first into the concrete below, the little grove of trees I’d spotted might soften my landing. It’d worked, more-or-less, with my fall slowed and then stopped by various branches. I had red angry scratches over my face and hands, and a couple more bruises were already starting to appear on my arms and legs, but it was nothing compared to what could’ve happened.

                Part of my suit had actually gotten caught-up on one of the tree’s branches, and as much as I’d tried I couldn’t free myself. Dangling from one of my legs, Dan and Finn had found me minutes later, red-faced and somewhat irritated; how ironic was it that I could escape from a rollercoaster hurtling towards an abyss and from a parachute about to collide with a massive building, yet a tree was what had finally reigned me in.

                After their initial shock, Dan and Finn had managed to cut me down and we’d regrouped with Biff and Jude, who’d gone a different direction to chase down my parachute. Later they told me it was a good thing I’d done what I’d done; if not, I would’ve surely died.

                “You are not from this world,” Biff had gaped when he’d first spotted me. “How are you even alive?”

                I didn’t even have time to answer before Jude cut in; for once looking at me with a newfound respect. “How did you even stay calm? I would’ve flipped out, just had a total melt down, if that had happened to me!”

                “Sage, you are a mad man,” Finn stated. “A freaking loon, I swear.” Though they sounded like insults, Finn had never stopped smiling the entire time.

                I think Dan might’ve been a little shaken by the whole incident. Uncharacteristically, he’d stayed relatively quiet through the rest of our trek back to the dauntless compound. On occasion he’d ask how I was doing, how I was feeling, if that hurt, or if I could move, but nothing else. Even his expression, which was normally open and inviting, had become blank and almost unyielding.

                A part of me wanted to pry and demand to know what was wrong with him, but I figured he’d tell me when he was good and ready. After rewrapping the parachutes into neat bundles, and folding the suits back the way we’d found them, we’d jogged back to the train and ridden back to dauntless.

                “How are you holding up?” Dan now asked as he walked up next to me. He had his own tray of food in his right hand, and was holding another in his left.

                “Wow, hungry much?” I chuckled when I saw the extra food.

                “No. Well, yes, I’m always hungry. You know that. But this isn’t for me, it’s yours.” Dan explained.

                “Oh. Well, thanks, but I can carry it.” I said and immediately took my tray. I wasn’t that hurt that I couldn’t carry my own things, and Dan was not a slave at my every beck and call.

                Dan didn’t argue, and as we headed over to where Finn and the guys were sitting, he excused himself momentarily.

                “What’s up with him?” Jude asked as he reached over and stole a roll off my plate.