↳ FORTY-FIVE

IT WAS UNCLEAR if Lucifer had found out about Izzy going to see Spencer from Diane or Maze, but the deputy was positive that somehow, he had heard — that was the only fathomable explanation to him keeping his snappy remarks to a minimum ...

IT WAS UNCLEAR if Lucifer had found out about Izzy going to see Spencer from Diane or Maze, but the deputy was positive that somehow, he had heard — that was the only fathomable explanation to him keeping his snappy remarks to a minimum and replacing them with compliments masked as teasing jabs while also offering the woman gummy bears. They looked suspiciously like the ones Linda had kept in her office, but with no actual proof that he had been the one to grab the whole jar, Izzy had settled into the leather seat of his speedy Corvette with a mouth full of candy and a heart of gratitude. Lucifer was not a man of many words, but his gestures said a ton, and right now, they were telling Izzy how truly lucky she was to have a friend like him — just a friend.

"So, wait, why exactly are we here?", Izzy prodded when they finally reached the prestigious school, closed for an evening arranged for the parents only, and even just the vehicles saying that only the most wealthy and respected families were to get an invite into such a classy event. An environment like that was bound to stir some tension between the workers, but as Lucifer had insisted that he wasn't there for the case, there was an undeniable shade of bemusement on Isadora's face when she climbed out of the car and directed the man a glance. And it didn't take him long to stick his tongue to the side of his cheek and wonder how much to share, which promptly earned a stern look from Izzy, "I think we're past the glamorizing. If it's personal, I'll back off, but... you know", her clever mind already wondering if this had something to do with the supernatural side of his life.

Concluding from Lucifer's deep sigh that was more exhausted than anything, she had hit the bullseye with her stab at it.

"It's complicated, but there's this dandy little weapon called the Flaming Sword. In order for it to work, I need to gain control of my emotions, and...", Lucifer gestured at himself with both hands, and with a quiet ah and a nod of understanding, Izzy put two and two together. Feelings weren't his expertise, to say the least, but she was sure that if anyone could find the determination and courage for it, it was him. "Apparently, this school excels in helping children harness their feelings for creative things, which, in my case, would be igniting a celestial weapon", he clarified with an earnest smile before linking arms with Izzy and leading her around the parking lot.

"Okay, so, why do you need the Hot Rod?", the Holt tried to query without sounding unjustly curious, but before Lucifer could even begin to work on an answer, the two spotted a woman fussing around one of the many cars — coincidentally, Chloe Decker's car — and his attention was swiftly guided from Izzy to the teacher he recognized from the school.

"Madison! Just who I was looking for!", he announced with blatant directness, and whereas he was blind to the warning signs around them, Izzy certainly noticed the weighty rock the woman was hastily rolling out of her hands. That, mixed with the suspicious looming around Detective Decker's car, was enough for Izzy to cough up an excuse of forgetting something in the Corvette before sneaking away and deciding to approach the situation from a different angle — literally. Even if Lucifer had shown up for his personal reasons, Chloe and Maze were still on the hunt for a killer in the very same place, so it was hard to pass this off as a coincidence, and therefore, Isadora didn't waste time in tiptoeing around the row of cars.