Chapter 2

2.

Xurhi.

"Shit!" I screamed frustrated as LA traffic was at a standstill. I was running late for a gig in West Hollywood, where I was supposed to be a bartender for the night. I was meant to be there in the next twenty minutes, but the way things looked I was going to be shit out of luck, and I'd miss out on $300.

My phone began to ring, adding to my irritation, and I looked to see it was my best friend, Dream. "Hello," I answered, as irritated as I felt. "What crawled up your ass?" She asked, making me roll my eyes. "I'm going to miss out on money. You know how I feel about that?" "Well thank your best friend, because I got a text you weren't there. I have a plug for you though, and another job." She said, making my ears perk up.

"What's up?" "So Step is going to sign in as you tonight in WeHo, and work the shift. I talked her down to 75, plus she keep whatever tips she'll get and you'll get $225. Then tonight, you come back this way, and serve with me." She said, and I groaned. "Does my ass have to be out?!" "You'll walk out with at least $500." She countered, and I sighed.

"Okay, I'm heading back home. When will Step give me my money?" I asked. "Tomorrow morning, she'll be by the office." She answered. "Sounds good, thanks bae. Are you going to ride with me tonight?" I wondered. "Yeah, my car is acting up again." She sighed, and I bit my lip knowing I had a few dollars to spare. "Have you got an estimate yet?" "It's 700, for Buddy to rebuild my transmission." She said, and I said a prayer to recoup the money I was about to give.

"You can get the $225, you've done a lot for me since I moved here." I said, and she smiled. "I want to say no, but I know you won't let me. Thank you. Speaking of, have you spoken to your mom about visiting?" She questioned. I sighed thinking about things, back home in Miami. "I spoke to her the other day, but things are the same. Maybe for Easter or Memorial day." I sighed.

"I feel you girl, same thing happening in Detroit. There's enough bullshit in LA to keep me here." She said, and I agreed. "Alright, well I need to focus before we both need car work." I said, and she agreed. I was able to navigate to an exit, to turn around, and made the short drive to Crenshaw Boulevard. My apartment that I shared was right down the Boulevard, so it was easy to get to from the interstate.

I parked, and walked up the stairs to the third floor, luckily without getting winded. I knew I was what most considered a BBW, but outside of my urban world I knew the world didn't love us. Singing was my passion, and what led me to LA chasing record deals. I'd submit a demo or some exec, would come across my SoundCloud channel, and I'd get a call, but as soon as they saw me they either wanted to keep me behind the scenes as a songwriter, or push me into the neo soul bubble.

I could do both, and had, however I knew neither of those would fill my want to be on a global stage. I wanted to tour world wide, and be just as big as all the A list singers. I could out write them as well as out-sing, them, but I just needed the opportunity. I knew from my year in LA so far, everyone was superficial, and the look mattered.

I wasn't one for surgery just because Dream had told me her own personal horror story with it. I already had the T&A, m, but the extra meat around my stomach and hips didn't fit into their marketing plans.

I had given myself a goal to tone up, rather than lose a lot of weight to be one of the Skinny Minnies the industry was used to. I knew I'd never be a size 6, and I was okay with that, but I would get as close to the industry standard as I could without compromising my own morals.

"You're back already?" Robin, my roommate asked. "Yeah, change of jobs." I said as I headed into my room. Robin was okay, though I still didn't know her too well. I responded to a craigslist ad, where she was looking for a roommate. All she required was a small deposit, and someone who could clear half of the rent every month which wasn't too hard.