|62| blackmail

"T-TEDDY!" I push Taehyung's chest, scrambling to button up my shorts.

Her eyes look as if they could burst from their sockets, her breath hitched and body stiffened at the sight of us together before sprinting away.

"No Teddy wait!" I run out. By the time I reach the hallway she's already gone. I quickly turn around with tense fists.

"Ugh, you idiot!" I push against Taehyung's chest, making his hands raise from the belt he was readjusting. "I told you we'd get caught!"

"What's the big deal? Is us being a thing that bad?"

"The big deal is that Gretchen's in love with you! She's always loved you! So the girls and guys have been working hard to build her confidence enough to confess to you, especially Teddy! I had no choice but to encourage Gretchen to pursue you, and now everyone's going to know what a shitty friend I am! This is going to break her heart, thanks a lot!"

I know it's not his fault... But I'm just so shocked and embarrassed right now. We got caught... Fuck! I have to do something about this.

So without knowing what else to do, I storm out.

—THIRTY MINUTES LATER—

"Teddy? Can I talk to you outside?" I ask quietly with knitting fingers. She proceeds to clean the table and hum.

"La la la la la can't hear, the music is too loud."

"You're not wearing headphones..."

"The music in my head Lilo, the music in my head."

"Please?" I ask again. She shoots me an unpleasant scowl, so different from her usual personality. It hurts to know that I've disappointed her this much. With a deep sigh, she throws the rag onto the table and walks outside.

We plant ourselves on the park bench right outside of the cafe. Every time we sit here together takes me back to my first day of work, although this atmosphere feels much different.

Before I even speak, she folds her arms and looks the other way.

"Teddy, about what you saw—"

"You and Bossman were kissing!!! KISS-INGGG-AH! How could you do that to poor Gretch?!?!?!"

"Shh! Okay, I know that was a really shitty thing to do—"

"Yes, IT WAS! This will break her heart, and mine! All of my hard work for nothing! You ruined my dreams Lilo, I wanted to be a part-time matchmaker, but you screwed everything up!"

"I didn't mean to hurt you or Gretchen. Please don't tell her."

"Ohhhhhh and now you want me to keep your secret? You have a lot of nerve!"

"If we tell her, it will break her heart and she'll crawl back into an isolated shell. I've never seen her this confident when talking to others. I mean, it's not like she and Taehyung would work out anyway. How was I not supposed to support her?"

Teddy's eyes bulge after my words. That's when I realize what had just come out of my mouth. "Wait that's not what I—!"

"You know what you are? A terrible person!" She lifts her butt to storm away but I immediately pull her down.