11

Mason Maloney

You got me sick

That was the text I woke up to from Sam. I couldn't help but let an excited smile creep onto my face at the thought of why he was sick.

After the two of us were interrupted last night, I stayed in the kitchen while Sam tended to the customer. A few minutes later, he walked back into the kitchen, neither of us saying a word. It was awkward at first since we both didn't know where our relationship stood, but after a few moments Sam took two large strides to reach me and cupped my face with his hands before meeting my lips with his once again.

The two of us stood in the kitchen making out until the timer on the oven went off, letting us know the muffins were done baking. The rest of the night went like that mostly. We didn't talk much, just made out in the kitchen and every so often Sam would have to go greet a customer.

You got yourself sick

I texted back with a grin.

Sam texted back almost instantly.

It's not my fault you can't keep your hands off me... or your mouth

An uncharacteristic giggle escaped my mouth at his words. My hand came up to cover my mouth and I let out a breathy sigh before texting him back.

Oh yeah, my bad

I set my phone down on my nightstand before getting up from my bed and heading toward the bathroom. After getting ready for school, I headed downstairs to see my parents, along with Nathan, sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast.

"Good morning," I greeted happily, grabbing some toast from the center of the table and sitting next to Nathan.

"Why are you so happy this early in the morning?" Dad asked confusedly, looking at me with squinted eyes.

I shrugged with a smile on my face, taking a bite of my toast. Nathan gave me a wary look as he chewed slowly on his own breakfast. The two of us finished eating breakfast quickly before bidding our parents and heading out to the car.

"You're driving today," Nathan said, tossing me the keys as he made his way to the passenger's seat.

I slid into the driver's seat beside him. "You can have the car after school, I'm hanging out with Ross."

"Dad wants us to switch more often," he told me, looking down at his phone.

I pulled out of the driveway and started making my way toward school. Even though I was extremely pissed at Nathan for what I found out last night about him lying, I decided I wouldn't confront him about it. It would be better for me if he thought that Sam and I were still not getting along. That way, he wouldn't try and do anything else to pull us apart.

"Well, you can have it today," I answered, looking over at him briefly.

Nathan didn't say anything as he plugged his phone into the aux cord and started playing some obnoxious rap song. I gave him an irritated look before turning the volume down a few notches.

Nathan scoffed, shaking his head. "You have no taste."

"I just don't want to go deaf," I retorted.

Soon enough, I parked the car at school. Nathan immediately got out of the car, ripping the aux cord from his phone. I quickly got up to him and shoved the keys into his hand, looking up at him. Nathan was bigger than me. Funny enough, he was about the same size as Sam. The two of them might have hated each other, but they were more alike than they realized.