The Art of Getting Caught in the Act

~Louis~

"Mar!" I heard Malia scream out as she pushed her tiny hands against my torso.  If it weren't for the fact that we'd been interrupted, I might have laughed at how cute she looked when she got embarrassed, but I was so close to getting her to kiss me, and of course whoever this 'Mar' person was had to ruin it.  

I hoped to God my father wouldn't hear about this, just another reason to add to my ever growing list of punishments assigned to me after he found out that I had been "Off gallivanting with girls of questionable virtue" I believed was how he so eloquently put it. 

Although the fact that she was Lady Spencer might actually please him, something I dreaded even more. 

I despised the fact that he could still punish me and could not bear the thought of waiting any longer for my eighteenth birthday than I already had to, but even then when I reached full maturity in the eyes of the country, they still had control over my assets, all of my holdings overseas, all of my future.  

They could destroy it in the blink of an eye if they wanted to, if they deemed my fruitless endeavors too 'untrustworthy' to the crown and the throne that I was set to inherit and give it all to my that selfish prick of a cousin Henry. 

And then it happened, the train of thought that always followed the thoughts of Henry taking over the throne. 

The idea of just letting it happen, abdicating the throne and passing it onto him when my father either stepped do

It was likely that my father would continue to be King for at least another forty years or so, unless an unexpected illness or accident occurred.  

I wondered if I'd have to suffer through the incessant thoughts of 'should I or shouldn't I' when it came to my actions and the threats that my family made to me.

I was brought back to my current situation when Malia's cheeks turned an adorable shade of bright pink at the insinuating look on 'Mar's face and I wondered if it was her sister or something, considering how much they looked alike.  But, then again, if my parents had said anything it was that I needed to date someone like Malia of noble birth and if there was a sister they would have mentioned her too. 

I wondered if that was why I was trying to get close to her, if that was why I wanted to get to know her, because subconsciously I actually wanted my parent's approval.

Wait.  Did I just think that her pink cheeks were 'adorable'?!  What was going on with me?

I shook my head and tried to concentrate on the scene unfolding in front of me in Malia's kitchen. 

"So, what's going on here?" the woman with the dark raven hair and striking blue eyes that were eerily similar to Malia's asked the both of us.  I decided to pipe up with my sharp wit and searing dialogue. 

"Oh I was just about to teach Malia here about how to properly snog a man, you see she's been doing it wrong all along and-"

I was caught off with a sharp jab in my ribcage and I noticed that Malia's eyes were wide as saucers and her female relative looked as if she were about to burst out laughing. 

"Nothing, Mar.  Louis here was just leaving, isn't that right, Your Highness?"

She said 'Your Highness' in a way that made it seem as if she had something lodged in her throat and couldn't get it out, which was quite hilarious to me but I figured I wouldn't make anymore headway into getting to know her or flirt with her while other people were around who would expect a certain set of manners from a man of my noble birth. 

"Yes yes, my driver is right outside.  It was lovely seeing you again, Lady Spencer.  And lovely to meet you, Miss..." I trailed off, hoping the mystery woman would give me her name.