Chapter Three

Skye

A couple of days passed with Ethan nowhere in sight. The more I thought about what I said to him the more I hated myself. Aunt Sophie noted -a little too nicely- that I was a bit harsh on him. That was her gentle way of saying I did a really bad thing. When I asked Timothy about him, he told me that Ethan would usually go AWOL for some time and then show up after a few days.

I took it as a good sign. That was good, right? It meant he didn't drop out of school because something I've said. There was still hope. As my frustration build up I wished he would just show up and let me apologize to him and get over with this. I wanted to restore my inner peace. I needed to restore my inner peace. I hated this guilt-eating-thingy.

By now, I have learned where all my classes were. There were moments where I might get a little confused at first, until I remembered which way I should go. Abby was my everyday lunchtime buddy now. Whoever finished with their classes first would wait for the other one. We didn't set an actual rule for that, but somehow it was what we've been doing. She talked a lot about her house and big family. They all seemed sweet and funny. I met her sister the other day when she came to pick her up, she was really nice.

Alert! Day three, English class, he was there.

Ethan

I waited. I sat at my desk and waited. With every passing minute my outrage and frustration increased. I didn't have a plan on how to approach her. My sole focus orbited around just being here. As deeply as it bothered me I felt like I needed to explain my actions, if not somehow apologize. That annoying feeling that I should say 'I'm sorry' bugged me. Maybe I wouldn't use those words specifically.

Hearing others walk in and take their places had me anticipating her arrival at any minute. I kept an ear on the entrance, listening to what seemed like the last person walking in.

Maybe she wasn't coming today.

Or maybe she asked to change her classes.

Or that she walked in, saw me -the jerk- and just turned around and left.

My mood was getting darker with every thought, and with every passing minute, the reason that made me attend today seemed to get smaller and more ridiculous.

"Um... hi," said a soft voice close to me. The Floral and sweet fruit smell filled my lungs.

"Hi..." I said in a strict voice and that was all I said.

I didn't realize that my body stiffened and my jaw clenched tightly until she said, "Relax! I moved my bag to under the table." Then she exclaimed with a huff, "God! You have a guy tripping over your bag once and he holds it against you. Sheesh!"

I didn't know if she was joking or not. I hadn't figured out her vocal expression yet. Denying words toward her reference to my current state started to form in my head and come out of my mouth. It was the small giggle that stopped me, she was joking. Only then I eased a little. My shoulders relaxed a little and jaw lightened the pressure. I must have looked stiff as a board. I felt that one side of my mouth twitching.

Listening to the regular sounds around me, desks and chairs being pulled and pushed, non-stop loud and noisy chatter, and heavy bags loaded with books dropping on the floor with familiar thuds.

And there was the constant tap... tap... tap that caught my attention. 'New girl' was taping her pen to the table repeatedly. It was one of the nervous tics that people unconsciously did when they were around me and I started to tense up.

"Sit elsewhere if you don't want to sit here!" There was a hidden accusation in my words. It was more like an order. Actually, I barked at her. For some reason, it infuriated me. Just a minute ago she cracked a joke about me being uptight and I idiotically took that as a good sign. Apparently, I wasn't only blind I was a fool too.