twenty three - "fake ass moustache"

I sit in the lounge, wearing a red shirt and blue overalls as well as a red hat with the letter M imprinted on it and a fake moustache glued to my face.

I had received a few laughs and compliments from parents as they saw my costume, which I was proud of since Daniel only received a few eye rolls for his typical costume.

"I should've chosen Mario for myself," he mutters as spooky music plays in the background. The house was decorated in pulled apart cotton, giving it a cobweb effect and it was only more extra outside.

My mum had pumpkins littering the front garden and fake gravestones on the grass. She had opened the back door to my brother's pick up truck and put the skeletons in, dressing them in farmer outfits. The decorations undoubtedly looked perfect.

The doorbell rings, causing me to finish the Mars bar I was eating quickly and grab the bowl from between my brother and I, moving to the door and opening it to give some kids some sweets.

They were dressed in ghost outfits, a sheet thrown over their head and holes cut eyes for their eyes. They giggle and say thanks before leaving. I smile at the parents who only tries to tame the children as they run to the next house.

I close the door again and take a piece of chocolate, opening the wrapper and eating it before I sit back down on the sofa.

My mum was still dressing herself up in green paint to be the Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz and Carl was running through some papers for work as he wasn't in the Halloween spirit.

"This music is so shit," Daniel huffs as he takes a Twix and unwrapping it, shoving it in his mouth as he rolls his eyes. "We've been listening to the same song for the past hour. I'm gonna fucking break the stereo."

"Only two more hours to go," I roll my eyes, glancing at the clock. It was only just eight and I just wanted to lay in bed and watch Netflix instead of giving sweets and chocolate to kids, therefore contributing to the increasing rates of obesity.

The doorbell rings again and suddenly my brother is doing something so he can't answer the door even though it's his turn. I roll my eyes and grab the bowl, walking back to the door and opening it.

A girl dressed in a princess outfit held an orange plastic pumpkin in her hand and I smile, bending down so she could reach the candy.

Stood behind her was a boy dressed in a Luigi outfit, his brown curls sticking out from underneath his hat that had the letter L boldly printed on it.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," he groans and I frown in confusion. It takes a moment for me to realise but the dark brown eyes and the familiar scowl give it away.

"Brad?" I say in surprise, my cheeks reddening.

"Since when did you live in Sutton?" He scowls at me and I raise my eyebrows. "Let alone down the road from me?"

"Is there a problem here?" My mum asks as she walks down the stairs in her long black dress and witch hat. Her face was green and her eyebrows painted into black blocks.

She stands next to me and the girl giggles at her outfit.

My mum smiles and looks over to the Luigi next to her and she realises quicker than I did, "Brad! What a delight!"

Brad's demeanour changes instantly and he's smiling, "hi, Mrs. Heart."

He juts his hand out and shakes my mother's and the girl pulls on his green shirt and he looks down at her.

"She's dressed like you," She comments in her sweet little baby voice and my mum coos at the sight. Brad glances up at me.

"You copied my outfit," I mumble and he rolls his eyes. I knew my cheeks were still red because all that was running through my mind is what happened on Friday at the dorm.

"You copied mine, actually," he snarls. "Besides, Luigi is so much better."

"Luigi is Mario's bitch," I roll my eyes defensively. My mum gives me a pointed look at my bad language in front of the child she was giving attention to.

"You're just saying that 'cause you're jealous that I can pull off Luigi better than you can pull off Mario."

I scoff, "I'm gonna rip off your fake ass moustache and shove it down your throat."

"I'm gonna get going," Brad glares at me before his eyes shift to my mum and he gives her a smile. "It was nice meeting you, ma'am."

"You too," she smiles back, closing the door as they turn around and she instantly looks at me. "He's just charming, isn't he?"

"Oh, yeah. Fucking delightful."

I sit on my bed, minding my own business and watching Netflix on my television as my phone buzzes from the nightstand. I roll my eyes and choose to ignore it so I can watch my film but after a few minutes, there's a ring at the doorbell and I stand up to get it.

With a groan, I make my way to the door to answer it.

I swing it open, revealing Brad, "what the hell are you doing here?"

"I've had a really bad argument with my parents," he frowns as he looks me up and down. Only last night were we insulting each other in these exact same places. "I didn't know where else to come except here."

I was home alone since my brother and Carl were at work and my mum was meeting some of her friends. I didn't want to let Brad in since last time we were alone he fingered me and I couldn't let myself become vulnerable because of him again.

However, his eyes looked softer and his shoulders were slumped. I couldn't turn down anyone if they came to me for help or hospitality, even if it's Brad.

I open the door wider for him and his eyes widen in surprise but he enters my house nonetheless. I close the door and stand there in my short shorts and loose top.

"Have you had lunch?" I ask, glancing to the clock. It hadn't occurred to me that I was hungry until I looked at the time and realised it was time for lunch.

"Uh, no," he shakes his head and I purse my lips, nodding and moving past him so I can get to my kitchen. It was so awkward between us not only because he was in my house but because of Friday's intimate events.

I grab a packet of Mac n Cheese and put it into a pan, preparing it and stirring it five minutes later. Brad sat awkwardly at the kitchen island while I moved around my kitchen, getting bowls and cutlery.

"You have a, uh, nice house," he states as I slide a bowl of ready made mac and cheese to him. "Your mum and dad must have good jobs."

"My mum and stepdad do, yeah," I correct him and his eyes pause on my face as I look at the floor, trying to think of everything but my dad. The only person that really know what happened to him was Britt.

"What happened to your dad?" He asks, his voice cautious as he takes a forkful of his food. I stand on the other side of the counter, leaning against it with my arms folded.

"He died," I shrug. Whenever I thought about it, the only way to stop myself from crying would be to pretend I wasn't bothered. "He was a fireman, he died while saving someone. He was a hero."

"I'm sorry for your loss," he says, his voice full of pity and I let out a sigh. When people found out he was dead they always give me that same line with the same tone.

"Thanks," I sigh and grab a cloth from the side, cleaning the counter as a means to occupy myself. When he's finish eating I put his pots in the dishwasher and turn to face him. "What do you want to do?"

"I don't know, Heart, you tell me."

unedited.