43

recap (cuz its been a while) : they all got drunk, richie pretty much begged eddie to not give up on their fake-ship, then they made out, next day richie said it meant nothing, eddie freaks, eddie told richie he might be gay, richie told eddie to kiss will, they kiss, eddie decided he likes richie afterall, you're welcome 

➳➳➳

 Content warning: child abuse, verbal abuse, self-loathing, homophobic slurs 

(... honestly it's some disturbing dark shit. so pls be warned)

Thursday. July 9, 1987

As Eddie was with Will, coming to terms with the feelings he had for Richie, the trashmouth himself was spending his time with Will's sister. Coming to terms with something of his very own.

It was unbeknownst or merely forgotten how the subject came up but once it was out, there was no going back. Perhaps it was Richard's constant glances at Elle's shaved head or maybe it was the long sigh he gave when asked about his parents but somehow the pair was discovering that they had a lot more in common than what met the eye.

"You're wondering why I have no hair." Elle said, matter-of-factly.  Richie's eyes perked up, in shock.

"I- How- Uh," Richie stammered. "You don't have to tell me."

Elle's mind was flooded by memories, flashes of her father, her insecurities, her past.

"My dad did this," Elle looked down.

Richie frowned, he was confused as to why her father would ever shave her head. He nodded at her to go ahead and continue.

Elle let the memories consume her as she began to tell the story that haunted her life and actions each day. It was only a few months before camp, back when she and her brothers lived with their mother in Hawkins, Indiana. Her parents had joint custody and so her and Will would stay with their father once a month for a week. Her father, Lonnie, had been preparing for their visit the way he always did, by drinking before noon.  It wasn't unusual for Elle to wear baggy clothes. She found comfort in being able to express herself differently than other girls. Her father seemed not to care, though.  It also wasn't unusual for Elle to like girls. But Lonnie Byers wasn't aware of this. When he was visited by his children that weekend, he didn't mind Elle bringing her friend over to his home. In fact, he was happy to see her thriving socially unlike her brother whom he was growing tired of trying to change. He knew something was wrong with his son, the boy had always been a bit girlier than the other boys around town. Hell, even his son Jonathan was a step up. So he encouraged Elle to spend time with her friends.

What he didn't know was that Elle's friend was anything but. In fact, she'd been crushing on the girl for weeks and finally was gathering the courage to make her move, which is what their sleepover had been all about. It was the middle of the night and the girls were up talking.

Somehow, Elle had gotten away with opening her bedroom window so that the two of them could sneak into the yard. She felt the brisk air spread goosebumps across her arms but hoped it was because of the girl in front of her. Her name was Sonny and she was beautiful. Elle wanted her to know that.

"You are beautiful." She'd whispered as Sonny had shyly directed her vision to the grass bellow them, that seemed ever so fascinating in such a moment. Elle reached out to grab a strand of her hair. It was blonde but Elle could swear it glowed even in the dark of the night. 

"Elle?" Sonny's face was warm and she reacted like a giddy teen who was finally getting a kiss from her crush. 

So that's what Elle did.