Chapter 8

October 8 10:56 am
  (Jack)

      I know she said it was fine but I didn't believe her. I couldn't believe what I did. I'm told, by her of course, I came home very drunk. It would make sense seeing the last thing I remember is killing this lovely older couple. They were seemingly retired because of how they were living. It's nice to get back at the rich and mighty. They learn there's a price. I also remember drinking some whiskey I found and I mixed a few drinks after. Then I don't remember anything. If all she said was true, it was definitely embarrassing. I also let her see what I really am in full light.
        I touch the mask in my hands. I'm in my bedroom, the morning scents coming in through the window. What does she think of me now. 'Weirdo'. 'Freak'. 'Monster'. I wouldn't be surprised if she ran away the moment she saw me.
        I walked out of my bedroom while grabbing the key to the attic. I put it in my pocket and went downstairs to make her something to eat. Pancakes and cereal maybe?
     I ready myself for the disaster about to happen in the kitchen.

12:03 pm
    So, here's the thing. I don't know if pancakes are supposed to have hard black spots on the bottom but...this one does. This is the best looking out of all fifteen pancakes and I'm ready to give up now. I poured a small bowl of (f/c) and put milk this time. Now no one can say I'm wrong. Bam. I'd say this is a great ...lunch. Brunch.
    I head up to the attic and unlock the hatch. She's lying on the bed, playing with a pice of paper she must have found in a box. "You know, I've got some stol-borrowed magazines in one of these. Feel free to look through."
She glances at me, "Thanks."
I put the food in front of her and sat down on the floor. She looked at me funny for a minute before she said "Um, did you need something?"
It wasn't until then that I realized I was staring.
"No." I said flatly. I get up and leave the attic. It got awkward too quick.
I made it back to my bedroom and thought about what I wanted to do today. I still had hours left of daylight and I couldn't decide if I should sleep or do something else. "You know what. I'm going take a walk." I said to myself.
I put on my black hoodie and blue jeans. I packed a kidney just in case I got hungry and a few jars for a hunt. I left out the front door. As I was about to lock the door my foot hit something. I looked down and it hit me how Jeff knew I was drinking. I kicked the empty vodka bottle into the bush to the right.

4:35

       I had been walking around for a bit until I heard footsteps. People? Already? I didn't expect to hit any this soon. I was close to where I had first met (y/n). To avoid people I jump up on a tree.

Crunch
Crunch
Crunch

Well, a meal is a meal I guess. I see a woman and what could be a boyfriend or husband. Both still young. Quick and easy. Right as I'm about to jump down I hear more footsteps in the leaves. Suddenly, they're everywhere. Some are talking amongst themselves while others are silent. It's not until I hear yelling that I realize what it was. A search party. A woman with (h/c) hair yells (y/n)'s name. She sounds panicked and scared but her face is stoic. She looks a lot like her. At that moment I recognize the face beside her. Oh man. The woman definitely had to be (y/n)'s mother because she was walking alongside that boy on the news but they looked nothing like each other. What was his name? Alex? Arron? Abraham? No, it was Alvin. Pft, my memory is always reliable. I decide to move before I'm spotted. I jump to another tree, closer to her mom and Alvin. What would happen if I jumped now?..no. Lets not. Ugh. Too many people.

6:29

Okay. So I've been following for a few hours and they are getting a little too close for comfort. If they find the house I'm going to lose everything I earned.
Not a minute later I heard some people yelling. "It's 6:30!" What happens at 6:30? Some sigh, more are silent. They turn around and start walking back the way they came. Alvin doesn't move and it makes me curious. Then he speaks "Guys. Can we go a little further. I have a feeling about this. We can't leave her out there!"
"Come on. I know you how close you guys were but she's not here," yes, not there, "we need to go."
"I know she's out there!" He points out towards nothing in particular, "We need to find her!"
"Let's go hun." Alvin, clearly frustrated, gives in and turns around. (Y/n)'s mom wraps an arm around him. He turns around and for a second, I swear he sees me.
I try to confirm with myself if he saw me or not but I guess I'll never know. It's time I head home myself.

7:51

The walk home was a good time to think. Should I tell her what I saw. Tell her that people are still looking for her. No, that would just give her an excuse to try and escape.
I sigh as I turn the key to the front door. I walk in and something seems off. Not visibly but my intuition says something isn't right. I walk until I'm in the room in front of the living room and I hear it. Footsteps? How? I start to walk back and up the stairs. Did the toilet just flush? (Y/n) is in the attic. So who is it?
        I wait until i hear the door open. I turn the corner and I'm met with two (e/c) eyes. I know those. "What the hell are you doing out of the attic?" She looks at me for a second, "You left the attic open. Plus, you never took me to take a piss. So unless you wanted your attic to smell, I'd be happy."
"Alright, whatever. But where did you get those sweats? And...is that...my shirt?" She looks quickly to the side and meets my 'eyes'. Empty voids more like it.
"No—." We're both silent for a second. "Why did you bring someone back with you?" She points behind me.
"What?" I turn around. While I see nothing I do hear something. Just not in the direction I thought it'd be from. I hear the pitter patter of her feet running into the attic. "Can't believe I fell for that." I go up to the attic hatch. "You realize I can get in whenever I want,right?"
"No!" I roll my eyes and bring down the hatch. I hear her scream like a 5 year old on Halloween. "I'm keeping it!" She yells. I honestly can't help but chuckle. That's my favorite one. I decide to be dramatic. I pull my hoodie up and I enter with my head down, voice as deep as I can make it go. The same thought is what comes out my mouth. "That's my favorite shirt, my dear." I look up quickly and see her on the bed with the covers up to her shoulders as she's huddled in the corner. I charged at her and she screamed again. At this point I couldn't care less about the shirt. I corner her with my arms against the wall. She has a look of pure terror on her and it looks amazing from here. But I couldn't keep it in anymore. I start to laugh like an idiot, *cough cough* Jeff *cough cough*. I curl up and lay at her feet. I laugh so much my stomach starts to hurt. She, on the other hand, doesn't look amused. More hurt and offended if anything.
"You're an asshole!"
"I know right!"
"Ugh!" She pushes me off the bed as I'm still laughing. At this point I'm curling up on the floor, dying. She peaks over the edge.
"Dick head."