23. Strangers

"And Xavier, meet Stefan's assistant Hazel.", Jessica said merrily.

Xavier just gaped at me open-mouthed. He looked just as surprised as I was. For a minute, both of us could not speak anything.

"She will be helping him in planning our wedding.", hurt flash through his beautiful eyes which he masked instantly and walked towards me.

"Nice to meet you, Hazel.", he pulled his hand out for a shake, his voice was distant, as if he didn't recognize me.

Was it true? Did he not even remember me?

"Same, Mr. Davis. I hope you will be satisfied with our service.", My voice mirrored the aloofness of his voice as I shook his hand.

A wave of electricity passed through me at the sudden contact. A desire to never let his hand go overpowered me which I pushed back with great difficulty.

"Come on, dinner is getting cold.", Jessica said and led us to the dinner table. My eyes kept wandering to Xavier but he didn't cast a single glance at me.

He sat down beside Jessica while Stefan and I took a seat in front of them. The same woman whose name was probably Marsha served the dinner which consisted of Chicken and Mushroom pie, lemon parmesan shrimp pasta and garlic bread.

The savory aroma filled my nostrils and I began filling my plate when a hand touched my thigh. I turned to look at Stefan who had leaned a bit towards me.

"Act like we are talking about something related to work.", he muttered in a hushed voice.

Confused, I looked at him and he had a professional smile on his face. I mimicked his attention and leaned back in my chair.

"This is the same guy, your boyfriend from that hotel.", he spoke and all the color drained from my face. My eyes converged on Xavier who was observing us in silence. There was an annoyed expression on his face, as if something was bothering him.

"You don't know the whole story.", I whispered, plastering a fake smile on my face.

"Maybe. But let me clear one thing, if there is something going on between you too, you better be careful because Jessica is a very dear friend of mine.", he warned in a low tone and I gulped the saliva down my throat.

"Hazel, tell me something about yourself.", Jessica spoke, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

"Uh... I am from Boston.", I stated.

"Wow. Xavier is from Boston too.", she told me and I nodded in return. My traitor eyes went back to Xavier who was busy stabbing the pie on his plate.

"I've a younger brother who is studying business. My mother lives in New York and my father died when I was a child.", I told her about my family.

"Oh. I am sorry.", she said.

"It's ok.", I passed her an assuring smile.

With that, we diverted our attention back to our plates. I could feel a pair of eyes boring hole through my skull but I didn't bother to look up this time.

"Let me show you your room.", Jessica said to Xavier and led her towards the stair.

To my surprise, his room was the one next to mine. I cursed my luck silently and walked inside my room with dragged steps. I wanted to ask Xavier the reason of his behavior but I couldn't do that in front of Jessica.

Changing into my pajamas, I collapsed on my bed. A heavy feeling settled in the pit of my stomach when I heard sound of giggles from the next room. Tears threatened to burst out of my eyes so I hugged my pillow tightly and hid my face inside it.

I won't cry.

I won't cry.

I won't-

The dam broke down at last and tear after tear leaked out of my eyes and stained the spotless material of pillow.

Why me? Why can't I live happily? Why am I such a mess?

First Dad, then mom and now Xavier. Why does everyone leave me alone?

My lids started to become heavy.

I was trying to compromise. But no, he had to return in my life and create a havoc again. Of course, how can he let me have my peace.

Somewhere in the midst of whimpers and hiccups, I succumbed to sleep.

...

When I woke up, my head felt like someone had pounded it with hammer last night. Groaning, I got up and looked at my reflection in the bathroom mirror. My eyes were bloodshot red and the rest of my face was just as swollen.

Splashing some water on my face, I finished my morning routine and changed into some decent clothing. Switching off all the lights, I stepped out of my roon at the same time when Xavier was walking out of his.

His eyes met mine and an uncomfortable silence prevailed in the hallway.

"So you are still going to act like you don't know me.", I asked after much contemplating.

He gazed at me with embarassment written clearly on his face.

"How are you?", he spoke, his voice was barely audible.

"Better than I've ever been.", I lied.

"Great.", he passed me a brief smile.

My heart was thumping inside my chest and I felt like a teenager in front of her crush.

Get it together, Woman. He is someone's fiance. Stop acting like a love-struck idiot.

We both walked towards the hall downstairs without muttering another word. Jessica was already sitting there, talking with someone on the phone.

She kissed Xavier on the cheek when he flopped down beside her and I felt jealousy ripple inside me but regretted when she greeted me kindly with her warm honey-colored eyes.

Damn it. Why is she so nice? I can't even hate her.

"Good morning guys.", I heard Stefan's voice. He was wearing casual clothes, looking quite handsome actually. But my mind was fixed on only one person in the room.

He slouched down beside me, sitting too close for my liking. My eyes flicked to Xavier who was throwing daggers at Stefan with the coldness in his eyes.

"So Mr. Grey-", Xavier started the conversation.

"Please call me Stefan.", He replied casually.

"Uh..Ok. Stefan, when can we discuss about the arrangements?", he inquired.

"After the breakfast, I guess.", Stefan shrugged.

Marsha soon called us for the breakfast and the couple left first, leaving me alone with my boss.

"So, care to explain?", he raised his eyebrow and asked.

"He was not my boyfriend. We were stuck on that roadtrip. Hell, we were practically strangers.", I answered honestly.

"Then why didn't he tell her about you?", he still looked doubtful.

That's the issue. Even I didn't know the answer.

"Honestly, I don't know.", I exasperated, playing with the hem of my top.

After assessing my face for any sign of lie, he nodded and then marched towards the dining room and I quietly followed him.

**************************

I have mixed feelings about this chapter. I don't like it much.

Don't forget to vote and comment.