Chapter 20

Kathy sat alone in the kitchen, her hand wrapped around a cup of tea. She glanced at the clock. 7.30am. The post would be here any moment! She took her cup and walked through to the hallway and took her seat, third stair from the bottom, and waited. She had taken to doing this for the last week, sitting and waiting for what she hoped would be her reply from George or Brian. Thankfully her parents were away. They'd decided to take a small cottage in Wales for ten days. It was unusual for them to do this kind of thing. Kathy had a scared feeling that this could also be where the Mother and Baby home was. She lightly stroked her stomach, mentally saying good morning to her baby inside. Late each evening when she knew her parents were asleep and she couldn't be interrupted, hidden in the privacy of her room, she was now looking closely for signs of her baby. There was a definate swell to her stomach now, not enough to suggest she could be pregnant, but all the same, it was there. The knowledge made Kathy smile but also filled her with concern. Her father had said she could only stay for as long as she did not show. How much longer could she hide the changes in her body from her parents, she did not know!

She must have dozed off, her head lolling againt the stair spindles. The knock on the door making her jump. Through the glass she could see the outline of a man. The postie!! She got up, flicked her fingers through her hair then opened the door. Her face fell.

"What do you want?" She began to close the door.

"Kathy don't. Please." He held out his hand, in it was a small brown envelope, "This is from George. He wanted me to deliver this personally so that he could be sure you got it. He's really worried about you Kathy." He looked behind him, galncing nervously. Look, can I come in? I'm feeling very conspicuous here. I think some girls on the road recognised me."

Kathy took the envelope before opening the door wider. Paul stepped into the hall then closed the door behind him. Kathy returned to her seat on the stairs and ripped open the letter. Paul could see she was shaking as she began to read.

"My Dearest Kathy,

Words can not express the myriad of emotions I felt as I read your letter. I can not believe how you have managed to stay as strong as you have when you consider firstly, what I did to you and then the way your parents are behaving. I am SO SO incredibly sorry for putting you through all this and would do anything to be able to go back in time to what you and I had before that night.

It's difficult to write what I really want to say because all my letters in and out are screened, especially to you. I have spoken at length with Paul. Listen to what he has to say PLEASE Kathy. I know you don't like him, but he can help you.

Please contact me via Paul anytime you need to. I am so glad that  you decided to come to me for help.

Thank you Kathy, for wanting to keep our baby.

I love you still.

George.

xxx"

Kathy hugged the letter to her chest, tears puring down her face. He was willing to help! Thank god someone believed what she wanted was right! She felt Paul rub her shoulder gently to offer her comfort.

"You OK?" Paul asked.

To his enormous surprise, Kathy stood up and hugged him. "I am now!" she told him, "Thank you for bringing this to me."

Paul smiled. "Any chance of a cup of tea then? I've been on the road since early doors!"

Kathy laughed, she knew what a fiend Paul was for a decent cup of tea. She took him through to the kitchen. He helped her get thigs organised and greatfully accepted Kathy's offer of toast and Jam. As they ate breakfast, they talked. Kathy found she liked Paul's company after the lonely silence her parents were now giving her.