#38: Territories

Related to #3: Divided Lands

The act of building a house on a property is a declaration of that land as your personal territory.

If an individual were to build a house on some land, what are the steps they need to take to make it their own?

e.g., Do they need to go to the ruler and ask for permission? Is there a land owner or a lord that owns large amounts of land? Do they need to pay in some kind of currency or does their social rank determine how much land and what quality of land they get? For example, does a peasant get a small plot of poor quality land because he is a peasant? Are there any regulations with how much land one can own, how tall of a structure they can build, or how much of that land must be farm land?

For those of you who have characters that don't build houses, 

if an individual were to declare a plot of land as their own, what must they do?

e.g., Do they need to go to some kind of master owner of the land and get permission? Are they assigned a plot of land by their elders? Do they need to fight others to get the land? Is marking the land with their scent enough, you who have animal characters? Or, can they just take it out of the blue and no one will fight over it? Does social rank determine the quality and/or amount of land they can take?