Chapter 9: Acquaintances

       Sometimes, or all the time, I wished my mother would actually listen to everything I had to say. If she did, then I wouldn't have had to lie and told her I was part of the school's musical orchestra for her to leave me alone.

       I didn't want to join the orchestra but now, I couldn't get out of it. Mom was expecting to see the musical now that I said I was playing the piano for them. If I told her I lied, she would find an excuse to get me to live with her again. But if I make up some sort of excuse of how I couldn't play for them anymore, she would get furious that I lost another opportunity.

       Either way, I was stuck.

       Auditions for the musical were today and everyone who wanted to be part of it had to be there, whether it be for the cast, costume and makeup, set design, or orchestra. I was kind of hoping I had to be in the official school orchestra to be part of the one for the musical but apparently not.

       After school, I went to the auditorium where a lot of people already were even though my last class was close to the auditorium and I headed there right away. I guess people were excited for the auditions.

       I found a seat near the back of the auditorium and almost immediately after I sat down, Grant sat down on the other side of me. "I was kind of thinking you would bail," he said.

       "You should know that I can't," I said. "Not when my mom thinks I'm going to be part of the musical orchestra and wants to see it. You, on the other hand, can skip out on this as much as you want."

       "Nah, I made a promise," Grant said. "If you join, I'll join. And I don't like breaking promises with people I care about."

       "Oh, so now you care about me?" I asked.

       Grant sighed. "You're so oblivious, Ollie. Of course I care for you. You really think I would carry a drunk kit for just anyone? You're my... acquaintance."

       "Dang, and here I was thinking you'd say friend," I said. "Or is that too hard of a word to say for you?"

       "It's too hard," Grant said in a whiny voice. "Such a complicated word."

       "Even more complicated than acquaintance?" I asked.

       "Obviously, since I just said it was a complicated word. You really don't listen to me at all, do you?"

       I only shrugged in reply right as someone behind us said, "I didn't peg you two for the theatre type."

       I looked back to see Vikram standing behind us, crouching down a bit and resting his arms on top of the back of the seats. "And why are you here?" Grant asked.

       "Uh, just because I don't see you two as the theatre type, it doesn't mean I can't be one," Vikram said. "But I'm not. I'm here to be part of the set designers and stage crew. I'm bored and don't have any extracurricular activities yet. What about you two?"

       "Orchestra," Grant said.

       "You're going to be part of the orchestra?" Vikram asked, then looked at me. "You two? Because I could have sworn you said you don't play any instruments."

       I sighed. "It's a long story."

       "And don't stereotype me," Grant said. "...What kind of person do you think I am?"

       "Not an orchestra type of person, that's for sure," Vikram said.

       "Why am I acquaintances with you?"