Minilan- That Dragon Cancer Parts 1-4

Lachlan's P.O.V.

I was 22 years old when I received the worst news of my entire life.

My legs had been aching for months before that point, but it was only when the pain got so bad that I could hardly walk when I finally went to the doctor to find out why.

Osteosarcoma Stage III bone cancer.

I could have died in the next two months if I didn't go to the doctor, and I was hospitalized at once. I was in London at the time, staying with the Sidemen at their house, and the morning I woke up and found that I couldn't walk they helped me out.

That morning I been awoken to the boys downstairs and I had tried to get up but simply collapsed because of the pain in my lower legs and thighs. My legs were swollen and patchy, aching and once I was at the hospital I was told that one of the tumors had caused a fracture in my knee.

I didn't remember much about being in the hospital. I was in so much pain that they gave me a strong dose of morphine and I was out of it for hours, not knowing what was going on.

When I finally came around, I was surrounded by the Sidemen boys who had camped out in my room and refused to leave, even though visiting hours were long over.

The doctor came in, sombre and severe, and I knew at once that things weren't going good. I just closed my eyes, not wanting to know. Simon squeezed my hand.

"I'm sorry, but things are looking good. It's cancer, bone cancer, there's at least 4 tumors in your legs alone and we don't know if it's spread to other areas of your body yet." He paused, giving me a sad look. "You're lucky you have died honestly and the only option at this point it to amputate."

Simon spoke up first, his voice cracking.

"Are you sure there's no other options?" He shook his head.

"Amputation is a last option only... but there's nothing else we can do, the tumors are too big for radiation to have any affect anymore but radiation is still on the table if the cancer has spread... along with the amputation."

I lifted my head, opening my eyes. I was in shock.

"Amputation... where?" He lowered his eyes sorrowfully.

"One leg from at least the upper thigh, there's a large tumour in your femur bone on your right leg and the other from just above the knee, the left leg, the one with the fracture." I sighed, one hand coming up to cover my forehead.

"I- I'm sorry that it's so sudden but we have to do it as soon as possible, in the next few days probably, both to prevent the spreading of the cancer and to stop the pain." He gave me a pointed look. "You can't walk."

It was a statement rather than a question but I knew it was true. I couldn't.

"I'm gonna get the head cancer doctor to come and talk to you guys, explain everything in more detail and explain the plan for the future. It's a little more difficult because you're obviously from Australia and you'll have to pay for medical expenses on your own if you don't have insurance, but there's no time to take you back to Aussie. You're considered a priority case and the doctors are going on standby in the next 24 hours."

I sighed. I did have travel insurance but it would still put a heavy load on my bank account, anywhere between $50,000 and $70,000 Australian dollars. I knew the cost of cancer treatment, it wasn't cheap. At all.

"It's okay Lachlan, we'll help you out. We ain't gonna leave you here, and you need the support." Simon squeezed my hand again, his chin coming to rest on my forehead. It was comforting.