Chapter 1.

"You ready, baby?"

I took one last peek in the mirror before flashing my boyfriend a smile. "Yeah, let's go."

"I like your shoes," Adam grinned and placed a playful slap to my butt. "Makes your legs and ass look fantastic."

"Thanks," I muttered while clinging to his arm, trying to avoid tripping and twist my ankles. "They're new. And way too high for me."

Adam chuckled and led me down the patio to his car. "Why did you get them then?"

"Because of the exact thing you just said," I confessed. "Also they were too pretty to leave behind."

"Just don't hurt yourself, beautiful," he said and gave my forehead a soft kiss before opening the car door, helping me step inside.

It was Friday night, which meant date night, something we had done since a year back. It had become some sort of a tradition after our first date – going out for dinner every Friday. We tried to vary our choice of restaurant but it was quite the challenge in a small town like the one we lived in. For me it really didn't matter, as long as I got to spend time with him. I couldn't imagine a better way to start off the weekend than with my boyfriend.

Adam got in behind the wheel and started the car, peeling it out of the driveway. I leaned my head against the window, looking out at the passing landscape.

My hometown was probably what some might call a typical, picturesque English town. Idyllic with narrow brick houses lining the streets and lush, green trees and grass wherever you looked. I had always loved living and especially growing up in it but sometimes I fantasised about leaving, trying life somewhere else.

Just like Harry did.

My heart constricted the thought of him. Usually I wouldn't let myself think about him because it only made me feel hollow inside but sometimes it was inevitable. It had been four years since he left now and I had accepted the fact that I would never see him again. Still I couldn't help wondering if he was safe and what he was doing with his life.

The first couple of months after he moved, I had been devastated. He didn't call once and I quickly found out his number was disconnected. Over and over again I asked myself why he didn't reach out, if I had done something wrong. I was a walking mess for weeks. I felt betrayed and hurt to the extent of where I barely made it through the day. Eventually it faded and got replaced by anger – anger towards Harry, my supposed best friend who couldn't even be bothered letting me know he even was alive.

And then I met Adam.

One day he strolled into the café where I worked and caught my eye with his messy blond hair and easy-going smile. We didn't start dating right away but became friends first. He was simple to hang out with, made me happy and slowly helped me get back to normal life.

So when he finally asked if he could take me out, I didn't hesitate to say yes. After a year of dating, I nearly felt whole again. My heart stitched together, no longer aching from the missing part Harry took with him. The only remainders were ones like these, a random thought popping up making me think of him even though I'd rather it didn't.

I turned my head to look at Adam. There was no denying how gorgeous he was. Strong jawline, hair a wild mess and the kindest eyes I'd ever seen. He kept one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the gearshift, looking beyond hot.

As if he felt my staring, he glanced at me from the corner of his eye and smirked. "Enjoying the view?"

"Very much." I placed my hand over his and smiled when he turned his palm upwards to laced our fingers together.