Chapter 5

I drank with Collin for the rest of the week and the weekends. Monday and Tuesday was hard. I was super hungover and still drank. Wednesday onwards, I had lightened up a bit and drank normally. I had no calls from Audrey.

Ms. Green noticed my behavior but said nothing, waiting for me to tell her. Dad was the same. He waited patiently for me to say something. I told him about it on Sunday.

"Break-up is a part of life, Zack. It seems like a great deal now which it is, but ten-twenty years from now, it will just be a memory," he patted my shoulder and gave me a sad smile.

"Then what do I do now?" I asked.

"Go visit your mom."

I did. I drove to my mom's house on Sunday afternoon. Her house was just near the main market which helped her run her bakery. I peeked into the bakery and saw her behind the counter.

"Zack!" She smiled and came to hug me when I entered the shop.

She was 5'3 with olive skin and long curly blonde hair. She had hazel eyes and broad shoulders. She was very beautiful. Her smile made her glow even more.

The store was empty. It had furniture of light colors. Everything was light colored. Birchwood chairs with pastel pink cushions and white table cloths. There were lamps and LED lights in the bakery. The showcase was filled with all kinds of cake and cookies.

"Hi Mom," I said hugging her back.

"I was just going to take out some brownies. Do you want some?" She asked.

"How can I deny free food?"

Mom chuckled and went into the kitchen. She brought out a tray full of brownies and a plate. When she stepped closer to me, she sniffed.

"Zack, have you been drinking?" She asked.

"I still stink?" I smelled my shirt. I did.

"What happened?" Mom asked with worry in her eyes.

"Audrey broke up with me," I said.

"Zack," she said my name so softly and pulled me into another hug. "It will get better. Things always do."

"Not really always." I pulled away from her and sat down in a booth, grabbing a brownie from the tray.

"I heard Collin was back in town. Did you go see him?" Mom asked sitting across me.

"Yeah. I saw him at Dad's wedding on Saturday. We've been meeting almost everyday since then," I answered.

"Saturday, right. Blake's wedding. How is he?" Something like flickered in her eyes. I wasn't sure what.

"How would I know how he's feeling? Ask him," I shrugged.

"How are you dealing with all this? Are you okay?"

"My girlfriend for two years left me. I have been kinda busy dealing with that," I said. "Look, if you want to know how Carmen is then just ask me. It's not the end of the world."

"Blake and I went separate ways years ago. I am interested in how you are. I have no interest in his personal life," mom defended herself.

"You obviously want to know how she is. I'll spare you the embarrassment and tell you myself. Carmen is a great person. She has a thirteen year old daughter and they both live with us. I haven't talked much to either of them. They have given me space which is all I wanted from them at the moment."

Mom nodded. "Are you looking for a job?"

"I am. Nothing interests me. It's all so boring. The monotonous nine to five jobs. I can't imagine myself like that," I said annoyed.