Chapter 4.

Waking up the next day and realising it was Sunday, made me extremely anxious. The weekend had went by way too quickly and had pretty much only consisted of drama and worry.

Harry coming back so suddenly had rattled my entire existence and I wasn't ready to deal with it, yet the way we left off yesterday had my stomach in knots. I couldn't understand why he had decided to pick his old home town of all places to start a business in. After all those years of being away, couldn't he just have chosen New York? We lived in a small town and running into him again would be inevitable.

Adam stirred beside me in bed and let out a low groan. "What time is it?"

I checked my phone. "It's nine. Want some breakfast?"

Another groan and then he put his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to his warm body. The unmistakable hardness pressing against my thigh proof that his thoughts weren't as stressed as my own. "Mhm, what kind of breakfast did you have in mind?"

I laughed quietly, swatting his wandering hands away. "Everything. Pancakes maybe. And some bacon. Definitely coffee." I lifted my head to look at him.

His eyes were hooded with sleep, hair sticking out in various directions in a wild mess. "Sounds perfect," he mumbled and buried his head in the crook of my neck.

Lightly scratching my nails down his back, I absentmindedly thought about how my life could've been if Harry never left. Would I be laying here with him now instead of Adam?

Only thinking about it made my cheeks heat and a flood of guilt wash over me. I loved Adam, I did, but Harry had been my first love. Even if I wasn't in love with him anymore, the feelings I never got a chance to act on would always linger in the back of my mind.

"I love you, Ella. I'm sorry about Friday and getting so drunk. I never should've left you to go home alone," Adam whispered, his hot breath fanning across my collarbones. "I thought I put that behaviour behind me."

"It's okay," I said and untangled myself from his grip. "You didn't do anything wrong." Giving him a quick peck on his chest, I stood up and stretched my arms out with a big yawn. "See? I'm perfectly fine."

Adam hummed quietly. "You look so beautiful like that."

I turned to face him with a small smile. I was only dressed in my knickers, my fairly small breasts on full display. But I didn't cower, I was more than comfortable being naked around him. He had been my first, something I was truly happy about because it had been perfect.

"Aw, don't get dressed," he smirked as I wandered over to my closet and pulled out a shirt.

"I don't want the neighbours to have a heart attack from seeing me cooking breakfast butt naked," I grinned and headed towards the door.

He chuckled. "I really don't think they'd mind."

"Get up and meet me in the kitchen," I said as I left the room.

After cooking everything we sat down and ate in silence. Adam was reading the paper, I was scrolling through my phone. I wasn't scheduled to work today but I knew Adam had to leave in an hour or so. Desperate to have something to keep my mind occupied with during the day, I texted my closest friend to see if she wanted to meet up.

"What are your plans for today?" Adam asked over the brim of the newspaper.

I giggled. "You look like an old man, sitting there with your paper and coffee cup. It's only the glasses and a pipe that's missing."

"What?" he laughed. "Something wrong with wanting to be updated on what's going on in the world?"

"Is it worth knowing? It's all disaster anyways," I huffed. "And I might be meeting up with Pam later."