Chapter 5.

Even though I would never admit it, I felt excited about Harry spending the evening with me. I knew I shouldn't expect answers or him confessing how much he had missed me and regretted his absence. But having him close at least kept my thoughts at bay, my mind didn't feel the urge to analyse everything that had happened the last couple of days.

Harry was still sitting beside me on the sofa, not having said a single word since I told him to keep his mouth shut. My anger had almost subsided completely and had been replaced with a weird sense of calm. I almost felt detached, which was kind of scary.

I shot Harry a glance and found him already looking my way. "What?" I snapped, feeling the anger bubbling up again. I didn't mean to sound rude but he seemed to bring out the worst in me.

His mouth quirked up in a lopsided grin, making his eyes crinkle at the corners. "Am I allowed to speak now?"

Letting out a frustrated groan, I rose and went to retrieve the take away menu from my favourite pizza shack. I needed food otherwise my grumpy mood would escalate even further. I could hear Harry chuckle as I stomped out of the room, almost making me laugh, too. I was acting silly.

Returning with the folder, I threw at him. "You choose."

Looking stunned, he picked it up from where it landed in his lap and shook his head. "You're crazy."

At least he sounded amused. I sat down beside him again and closed my eyes, trying to calm down but instead I became very aware of him; the warmth radiating from his body, his unique scent filling up my nose; the sound from his quiet breaths reaching my ears. I jumped when he accidentally brushed his hand against my thigh as he handed over the menu.

"I can't decide."

"Harry, I told you to choose because I don't want to. Just pick something," I sighed. "The one with pepperoni and jalapeños is heavenly," I added, feeling the need to help him out and opened my eyes.

He studied my face, probably trying to figure out if I was being serious. "Pepperoni and jalapeños it is, then," he said after a while and picked up his phone to place our order.

As he waited for the call to connect, pacing back and forth in front of me, I couldn't help staring at him. He used to be someone so close to me and now he felt like a complete stranger. He looked the same, only older, but there was a rough edge to him that hadn't been there before.

And of course there were all the tattoos. When he left four years ago, his skin had been clean. Now it was covered in black ink, various shapes trailing down his left arm. It suited him. Adam had no tattoos at all and would probably never even consider getting one.

I found myself wondering how I could be attracted to two complete opposites. Yes, I was attracted to Harry. Even more so now, despite his crappy behaviour. It wasn't something I felt proud over but denying it would be lying.

"You shouldn't look at me like that, Ella." Harry's raspy voice pulled me back to reality and I averted my eyes quickly. He had ended the call without me even noticing him talking in the first place.

My cheeks burned and I cursed inwardly for not being more subtle. "Like what?"

"Like you want to rip my clothes off and fuck me right here on the carpet."

I drew in a breath and snapped my eyes to his. "I did not look at you like that!"

The smug smile on his face told me he thought otherwise but he didn't say anything else about it. Instead he took three steps in my direction and came standing right in front of me where I sat. He crossed his arms over his chest, making his biceps bulge and glanced down at me with a slight pout to his lips. "So, where's the boyfriend?"