Chapter 22.

The day I'd dreaded since Sunday had ultimately arrived. It was time to meet my cheater ex-boyfriend. Or soon to be ex-boyfriend. I cringed at the thought of Adam still thinking about me as his girlfriend and really hoped he had some common sense to understand we were over.

I was working, scheduled to close up, so I'd texted Adam earlier and asked him to come by after. I didn't want him in my house and the café would have to do.

Ever since Sunday my mind had been consumed by thoughts of Harry. I knew I was falling for him and it scared me. I'd probably always been a little in love with him, but his leaving turned those feelings into something ugly I never cared to admit to myself.

For me, love was a great thing. It wasn't just something you declared for anyone, it had taken me a good eight months before I told Adam I loved him for the first time. But it was different with Harry. I'd known him my whole life.

During the four years he'd been gone, I had pressed pause on my feelings for him. From the day he left, up until he got back, I didn't acknowledge them. Now they started rolling like waves again, slowly developing into something I had no control over, almost drowning me.

I glanced at the clock on the wall and a knot formed in my belly when I noticed it was fifteen minutes until closing time. I did not feel the least excited about meeting Adam. I felt like I was going to throw up and would rather be with Harry.

My phone buzzed just then and a huge smile formed on my lips as I read the message.

Harry: Just wanted to wish you good luck and tell you that I'm thinking about you. Call me when you're done, if you want to .x

The bell at the door chimed as I was about to reply, notifying me of an incoming customer. I cursed under my breath, not understanding why people felt the need to come in here fifteen minutes before we closed.

I looked up, trying not to appear irritated. My fake smile froze as I took in the person sauntering across the floor toward me.

Cole.

He shot me a crooked smile and placed his hands on top of the counter, leaning in. "Hi, Ella."

He smelled amazing. I frowned at my stupid brain and bit back a rude remark. I didn't think Cole knew that I knew about him, so I better act clueless.

"Hi there, what can I do for you?" I said calmly, putting my phone back in my pocket.

I was alone in the coffee shop, Madeline had left about forty-five minutes ago and there weren't any other customers. A chill went down my spine as Cole focused his sapphire eyes on me. They were beautiful in colour and shape, but the underlying emotion made my scalp prickle.

"Just here to ask you something, really," he said, nonchalantly leaning against the counter while crossing his feet in front of him.

"Okay?" I said bewildered.

"I don't know if you heard, but I'm friends with Harry. And I know you're too, so cut the bullshit. What's going on between the two of you?" he said, his eyes boring into mine.

I gulped. "Uh, nothing, we're just friends. Or we used to be, before he moved away," I said and immediately bit my tongue. That was probably stupid to admit.

Cole nodded carefully, going over my words. "I see."

"Why do you care? How do you even know him?" I said, playing dumb.

He made a tsk tsk noise and pursed his lips. "He hasn't told you?"

"Told me what?" I scowled.

"About how our paths crossed. How he helped me out, when I had nowhere to go. He was quite the famous drug lord in the circles I moved. Rumoured to be ruthless and very dangerous. When he took me in, I must admit I was scared of him. But he never did me any harm. Until now."