thirty seven

May 20th, 2017

Lauren has to admit; she's nervous.

In fact, she's so nervous, that everyone had been questioning her. She'd been getting lunch with Dinah and Normani in the cafeteria, and Dinah had been shooting her glances, asking her what she was so jittery for. At the question, Normani had looked up, fixing her with a suspicious stare, as if she was trying to read Lauren's mind and find out her intentions, but otherwise, her best friend had actually left her alone about it.

Even her mom starts questioning her, asking if she's okay, if she's worried about graduation and her grades, and when Lauren tells her she's nervous for her date with Camila, her mom laughs at her.

"You're nervous to go out with the girl you're already in a relationship with?" Clara asks her, laughing. "You didn't seem nervous when you took her out to that fancy place last month."

''It's just..." Lauren sighs, shaking her head. "I feel like this could make or break everything. And I just... I just want to treat her right. I want to treat her the way she deserves."

Clara smiles at her, kissing the top of her head. "I'm proud of you. No, I'm proud of me, because I raised you to be so polite and caring."

Lauren laughs, hugging her mom. "Thanks, mami. And I know I shouldn't be nervous, I just really want everything to work out. I really lo- like her."

Clara sends her a knowing smile. "Yeah, you really seem to like her a lot."

"Alright, and now you're making things worse." Lauren rolls her eyes, her phone pinging, telling her it's time to set off so she can make it to Camila's for six o'clock sharp. "I'll see you when I get home. Love you, mami."

"I love you too, Lauren," Clara says, heading into the lounge. "Have fun."

Lauren takes in her mom's words, really hoping that she will. She hopes that this won't end in tears, and even though she doesn't have to worry about this, she's still got some residual fear about being seen. She hasn't experienced being properly out, and she'd always felt that with girls, she had something to hide.

As Lauren starts to drive, she thinks about Camila, and tries to analyse everything that happened between them here. While she's thinking about it, she realises that when she didn't remember, she was everything Camila had always wanted her to be. Out and proud. Calm and patient when it came to their disagreements and fears. Brave.

Lauren wishes more than anything that she could be brave, but it's still so hard, even without the fans breathing down the back of her neck, analysing her every move.

She pulls up outside of Camila's house, and lets out a deep breath, trying to compose herself. She needs to look cool and confident. If Camila sees any kind of fear, she'll take it as a red flag. She gets out of the car and walks up Camila's driveway, knocking on the door.

She rocks on her heels as she waits for the door to open, but when it does, she puts on a confident smile and opens her mouth to greet Camila, but she can't seem to get the words out, because the girl in front of her is the most beautiful human being she's ever seen in her entire life.

Camila had curled her hair, and it's been a long time since Lauren had seen her like that. She has a simple summer dress on, but the fact that she hadn't gone all out just proves Camila's effortless beauty. She looks up at Lauren through her long eyelashes and smiles shyly. "Hey."

"Wow," is Lauren's feeble response, and when Camila laughs, she realises she'd said it out loud, and quickly backtracks, "Um, I mean, hey. Hi. Hello."