Prolouge

The stage was barren. The lights still flashed, but there was no Callie. I scanned the area.  There was nothing. My golden eyes rimmed in Inkling markings darted about. I thought about calling out, but that would blow my cover, wouldn't it?
I held my breath, contemplating the idea for a moment.
Finally finding the willpower and my voice, I called out. It echoed in the silence.
"Callie? Callie where are you? We just saved you!"
My eyes widened, and my reflexes took hold as a hand lashed out and pressed a cloth to my face. I struggled to throw them off..
Then everything faded into darkness and silence.
But just as I slipped away, I swore I could see the vibrant colors of the hypnoshades Callie had worn...

***
Callie's voice was muffled, but I knew it was her. My eyes slowly opened, and I could see the flashing, sleek surface of the hypnoshades Callie wore. She was dressed in the same provocative outfit I had seen when she was kidnapped, the tattoo of the octopus that was on her side was now faded, but still visible.
Callie's voice had a smirk to it, and I could see that she was smirking. I finally came to, jerking as my senses returned.
Callie drew herself up, a hand on her hip.
"Wakie, wakie, sleepyhead."
My eyes widened as I realized where I was.
The room was dark, save for the light that shone from the door. I could see DJ Octavio's stage was barren, and the Octolings lining the stadium were all waiting pensively. I looked at Callie, my voice high-pitched, yet not loud.
"C-Callie? What happened? Why are you—?"
"Remember that chip Octavio lovingly gave me?" Callie asked, interrupting.
I let out a gasp as I remembered feeling Callie's wrist. There was a small metal disk implant. Callie had told me that sometimes she'd have a craving to go back to Octavio.
I guess now the impulse was too strong for her to fight.
"I do. But—!"
"But what?" Asked Callie smugly. "You thought that I was going to be on your side? Hah!"
I shook my head, my silvery tentacles shaking. It's not her. I thought. It just can't be.
"Callie, you know that this isn't you!" I pleaded. "It's the hypnoshades! Unite me and I'll show you!"
Callie bent down low, so I was looking at her. The hypnoshades faintly revealed Callie's eyes. Green with a magenta center.
It isn't her!
"You really think I'm going to let you go? And at best, escape? Marie—"
Her finger tipped up my chin so I was looking at the entirety of her face, tentacle fascinator and all.
Callie's voice was somewhat sympathetic, but only partly. The rest of it was cold and unforgiving.
"—you know that there's no getting out of this" Callie then smiled. "But, I think that just me alone won't be enough to satisfy the Octarians."
My eyes widenened again at the thought. My voice was filled with fear.
"Callie, what are you—?"
Callie's smile grew wider, her teeth being shown "With that being said, I need your help, Marie. Oh, and what am I planning? You'll see." Callie smirked again. "But I need you to hold still, Marie."
Her hand was cold when she rested it on my bare shoulder. Her free hand reached into her pocket.
I began to thrash as I realized what she was going to do.
It can't! Callie, you can't!
I stopped, my head darting up at the sound of her voice. Her words gave me chills.
"I think these will make it better, don't you, 'cousin'?"
I shook my head violently as Callie flipped them open. My voice was now terrified.
"No! No, please!"
They neared my face, and I squeezed my eyes shut, attempting to resist.
I then heard Callie's voice through the mic that was built into them.
"Look at me, Marie."
My eyes snapped open. I was foolish to think that the real Callie cams through in that moment, because I was met with the swirling colors of the hypnoshades.
Why does it....
Round and round the colors went. They were so beautiful. It felt....
Stop it Marie! It's controlling you! Don't let it—!
"Marie." Callie's voice made my thoughts scatter. "Relax for me, Marie."
I did as told, even though every fiber in my body told me otherwise. My head rolled forward.
It felt so nice. My thoughts weren't my own anymore. So nice to just... stare. It'll be okay, Marie. It'll all be okay.
I realized that these weren't thoughts at all, but Callie's voice speaking softly through the mic.
My breaths were calm and even. It was so nice. The thought echoed in my head.
It's so good to just stare.
Just stare.
Just stare.
Just stare.
I smiled as the feeling of sedation and heaviness took hold. My voice was deeper than normal. But it was fine. It was all fine.
I laughed. "Come on, Callie. Let's give them what they want."
I looked at her through the hypnoshades. She was smiling.
"Good girl." The rope was untied, and I stood up. I was still somewhat sedated, my feet tripping over themselves.
Callie took my hand, leading me out of the room and onto the barren stage, the roaring Octarians surrounding us.
I smiled, speaking mostly to myself. "Let's do this."