Chapter 28

"Sorry, Dad said you need some food," Becca said, walking in with a plate of food for Jake.

"Yeah, thanks," Jake said. He took the plate, setting it down on his lap and starting to eat with his left hand. He isn't left-handed, so to watch it was quite amusing.

"What is so funny?" He asked, looking at me as I giggled slightly.

"You're not left-handed honey," I said.

"No, I'm not. Wanna feed me?" He asked.

"I can," I said, holding my hand out for the fork.

"I've got it. I'm not helpless," he said.

"No, just half your body got crushed," I said.

"Hey, so what I told you," he said.

"I can't tell anyone," I guessed as the room tensed.

"No, you can't," he said, being completely serious.

"I figured as much," I said.

"Even Charlie doesn't know. Hell, Embry's own mother doesn't know," Jake said, making eye contact with me so I would realise how serious this is.

"What?" I asked. "Embry is keeping this from his mom?"

"He has no choice. The only people who can know about our existence are us, our imprints, and the elders. Beyond that, no one is supposed to know anything," he said.

"But, Bella does?" I asked.

"She's dating a vampire. The Cullen's are vampires. We can't kill them because of some ancient treaty that my great-great-grandfather made with them," he said.

"Edward's a vampire?" I asked, shocked that I hadn't noticed.

He nodded before swallowing the bite he had taken. "They've gotten really good at hiding it."

"But, Carlisle's a doctor," I said.

"Something about wanting to save more lives than he took as a newborn or something like that," he said. I nodded, still uncertain.

"Carlisle could never hurt someone," Jake said. "Especially not you. None of them could, or we'd have to kill them all. And, trust me, we would."

I nodded as Jake sat the plate on his dresser that was beside his bed.

"Come here," he said, motioning for me to sit beside him and cuddle into his side.

"You're so warm," I said, instantly cuddling into his body heat.

"108°F," he said. "A wolf's body temperature."

"It's like my own personal heater. This will be nice come winter," I said.

"Assuming I still like you come winter," he joked.

"You love me and you know it," I responded.

"I do," he said. "More than you know."

It fell silent for a few minutes. It was peaceful as the rain tapped away quickly on the roof. There was some wind kicking up, occasionally sounding like distant howls, but it wasn't anything to worry about.

"Aimes," Jake said, breaking the silence.

"Hmm," I hummed in response. My eyes were closed as I remained curled into his side.

"I'm sorry," he said, causing me to wipe my eyes and sit up a little.

"For?" I asked, turning to face him.

"Everything. Especially the stress I caused you. You had to deal with all that stress and anxiety on top of your own stress," he said. "I don't know how you did it. But, you're definitely the alpha female."

"Alpha female?" I asked.

"I'm the born alpha, not Sam. I was supposed to take over the pack but I didn't. Since you're my imprint, you're destined to be the alpha female. I'll take my place as alpha someday, so you'll be the alpha female eventually. We've got nothing but time before that though," he said.

"I don't wanna think about it, but I know you're right," I said. He nodded, placing his hand on my leg.

"You'll be amazing. I know it," he said.

"Thanks Jake," I said. "So will you."