MTM.5

the lion king one and a half

The moon had long seeped into my pale skin, but, yet I still continued to sit there, wide-eyed and paranoid. The tips of my pointed nails tapped gently, slowly, against the glass window as I counted the many stars that were helping to light up the night sky, and as I did so, my lips moulded into the numbers, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, as the quiet whistle of the wind flowing in through the small crack of my window nearly lulled me to sleep.

But, how could I possibly sleep now? The question appeared at the top of my mind in big, bright, bold letters.

There was not a single bone in my entire body that would let me fall asleep again, and there was a lot of bones. No matter how hard I would try to, my body would ache with fear and the inner voice in my head would beg, 'don't go to sleep' over and over.

Both of my knees groaned once I stood up from the window seat, and as I stretched my arms up high above my head, my whole body followed with a string of loud cracks before I stumbled over to my bed. I fell straight down onto the side of the cushion, and tightly wrapped myself up like a burrito in my comforter until I rolled my way into the middle of it.

I stared holes into my ceiling as the darkness of the night paired up with the whispering winds, and they both continued to play with my mind as though I was a broken toy, just ready to be messed with and then thrown away.

The sound of a quiet, yet annoying, double beep steered me away from my wild thoughts. Turning my head sideways, my hand wiggled its way a path out from under the tight hold of my blanket, and I reached out to grab my phone that was resting on my side table next to my tipped over picture.

My eyes flicked to the glowing time first, 1am, and then towards my new text message. Groaning, I read the top that said it was from 'Daddio', but the message under it was so short that I could easily read it without going into my texts. Even though it went like this, 'hi, wmmy, I ak staaaaaayinf at eicks. Loventou', I knew that he was meaning for it to go more so like this, 'Hi, Emmy, I am staying at Ricks. Love you'.

Sending back a quick, 'Alright, love you too, and don't forget that you have work in the morning', I placed my phone off to the side of my bed so that it was right next to me, and rolled onto my side, shrugging off the firm hold of my blanket until it was loose against me.

The hypnotic shadow of the moon dancing around my ceiling made my eyes droopy, and the need to sleep worsened, but the moon was oddly comforting during my night of restlessness as it acted like a nightlight.

Sighing sadly, and sleepily, I tugged my blanket up to my chin as I closed my eyes, and sunk into my bed.

However, I was reminded, yet again, that the moon wasn't truly on my side. A familiar howl had snuck back into my room while I was attempting to forget the reality of my messed up life for just a moment so that I could let sleep take over, but it had crept back in through my window. An eternity seemed to have passed before it ended with a final heartbreaking whisper of a long howl, and my eyes had already been snapped open.

Turning to go back onto my phone, my thumb shakily flew over my contacts list before it hovered over one labelled 'Meh Hawt Italiana' hesitating for a second in fear that I would be interrupting or bothering her, but I pushed that aside before tapping the screen quickly and pressing my phone right up against my ear.

A groggy voice answered, "Hewwo?"

"Hi," I whispered innocently into the phone.

"Emery?" My best friend spoke clearer, and I could hear the confusion evident in her tone, but the sound of blankets rustling nearly covered her next words, "Why are you calling so late?"