Chapter Twenty-Six

"What do you think about Mr. Stark staying back with (Y/N)?" Peter asked. They'd been on the ship for quite a while with complete silence. Peter had been too afraid to break it previously due to the fact that he didn't know Strange very well. Luckily, he was okay at beginning conversation. It'd be up to Strange to continue it or not.

"Nothing," He responded with a shrug, "They're both more than capable at figuring out their own messes to their problems."

"What mess are they even in?"

The small piece of broken material from the ship had catered to Strange's addiction at looking out at the world. However, Peter's question sparked larger curiosity, making him turn around and look at the young man.

"(Y/N) has to rebuild her home however she would like. Tony has to figure out how to get home."

"Do you really think she's not going to come back with him?"

Once again, the older man shrugged in response but didn't utter single syllable.

In his mind, it wasn't impossible for the girl to come back with Tony. It was more likely that she would versus the latter. How could she decline? Saving the entire cosmos isn't something Earth or - more specifically - the United States would just look over. The likeliness of them already having been intrigued without meeting her was high. She would more than likely be viewed as a specimen to the American government. Whether or not Tony would actually let her succumb to testing was another story.

The ship filled itself with silence again.

Peter found himself wondering how (Y/N) was doing and even momentarily blamed himself with some irrational form of guilt for not staying by Tony's side regardless of the fact that he didn't even really have a choice to begin with. He'd snuck off of a school bus, completely disobeyed Tony's command to stay on Earth, and happened to plop himself - conveniently - onto the ship and Titan. What would have been so different if he'd disobeyed Tony's direct orders again? More than likely, nothing. The only consequences he would face would be how the hell they'd return back home after Tony had just fixed their only means of transportation and sent it off with a mystic as its stowaway.

"If she does come back, I think Mr. Stark will do everything in his power to keep her from being experimented on."

"How?"

"As tough as Mr. Stark seems, he's probably terrified. A woman saved his life and could kill him in an instant. Why would he just turn her over?"

"Money, credit. He-"

Peter exhaled a rather heavy sigh and shook his head, immediately interrupting Strange as he was beginning to list benefactors for (Y/N)'s turn-in.

"He has enough money, why would he want more? And he doesn't need credit. He's not as haughty as people make him out to be. Hiding (Y/N) would be a form of gratitude in his eyes."

Strange stared at the boy who felt like he'd just made an amazing statement. Tony was rich, he had influence over thousands of people, and he could bend the story to his will. Strange knew that which was why he was so hesitant to believe the billionaire wouldn't somehow attempt to gain something for almost letting their home die.

"I understand his role in your life, Peter, but you have to realize that money speaks louder than being a Good Samaritan."

Peter shook his head, clearly annoyed and angry at Strange's words, "You don't get it. Nobody does. He works hard to keep Earth safe. He uses nano-technology to concoct impenetrable armor," The boy motioned toward the attire he'd equipped, "He's beyond intelligent. He has everything - materialistic, that is - that he could ever need or want. Why the hell would he use mass murder as a form of philanthropic leverage?"

Silence.

Again.

It was frustrating to Peter that someone who knew so little about Tony Stark decided it was necessary to make false accusations. Even if Peter's opinion was incredibly biased due to Tony's presence in his life, the assumptions were ridiculous. Completely unnecessary.

"He stood by you in New York," Peter commented. His voice was small again, hesitant. "Regardless of the fact that he called you a wizard, he wanted to fight by your side. Even if that desire was subconscious and opaque," The boy then began gesturing toward their ship, "He boarded this to rescue you. No matter the context, he could've just as easily let them have their way with you only to save the time stone slung around your neck."

A metaphorical ping! reverberated inside of Strange's chest. He'd hardly remembered that he still had the time stone.

"Thanks for the lecture, kid," He placed the overlaps of his top across the glowing medallion again out of pure instinct, "Do you feel better?"

Pouting like a child, Peter looked away from him and crossed his arms.

Strange's nonchalance was getting on his last nerve. Not even the blue of space that spilled all around them could catch his attention and calm him down. How could Strange be so calm? It hadn't made sense on Titan and most definitely didn't make sense on the ship.

But maybe it was just a coping mechanism.

Maybe he was trying to cope with the fact that someone else did his job for him. Or that maybe he was wrong in his feelings against Tony. Or maybe the quick death of Thanos still made him uneasy so he tried to mask his discomfort in any way he knew how.

Nonchalance.

Small talk.

Silence.

Peter had never wanted to be back on a school bus so bad in his life.