epilogue: we can make this work

one and a half year later

Brooklyn has never described herself as an indecisive person but she's starting to think that maybe she should. Brooklyn Cooper: competitive, detail-oriented, organised, indecisive. She's never hated making a decision as much as she hates making this particular decision. Her pros and cons list no longer works and if that doesn't work, then she honestly doesn't know what else to do. She's talked to her siblings and even they couldn't help her.

"This is your life, Bee, you shouldn't let other people decide for you. Whatever you choose to do, know that we'll always, always support you." That's what they said to her and whilst she does agree with them, she'd appreciate it if they could push her a little so she'd know which direction to take.

A couple of weeks ago, Suki told Brooklyn that the company she's working at is looking for one more writer for a relatively new column they just launched on their website and she thought Brooklyn would be the perfect fit for this job. Besides, after getting her article featured on the special issue late last year, her writing talent is finally being recognised. Apparently Suki showed that article to her editor-in-chief, and she fell immediately in love with her writing. She knew she needs someone like Brooklyn in her growing company.

So an interview was extended and Brooklyn went, thinking that she'd probably not get that job because she's convinced that there are so many better writers out there and yet three days later, she received a call as well as an email saying that she got the job.

Brooklyn asked them if it's possible for her to take some time to think about it and they're kind enough to give her a week to do so.

"You're done with that?" Niall's voice brings her back to reality.

She blinks her eyes once, twice, brows furrowing in confusion. She hasn't been listening to a word he said to her and she feels incredibly bad, though he assures her that it's okay. She's been distracted these past few days and she needs to make a decision fast before she starts losing focus on everything. Today she caught herself staring at a blank Word document instead of working on a new piece, and she didn't get past one sentence because that's all she could write.

"I'm gonna assume you're done because your plate's empty," Niall says as he takes her empty plate and takes it to the kitchen, along with his. Brooklyn gets up from the chair and follows him. He must've heard her footsteps because he doesn't even turn around as he speaks to her. "Still thinking about that job offer?"

Brooklyn doesn't answer until she's standing next to him and helping him wash the dishes. "Yeah. I just... I can't decide." A frustrated sigh leaves her throat as she takes the plate from Niall's hand and wipes it until it's dry.

"Never pegged you as an indecisive person," Niall comments as he gives her a sideway glance.

"I wasn't, until now."

Silence passes between them whilst she thinks of the pros and cons list she made a few days ago. Pros: the new job can offer the career boost she needs to get to where she wants to be in the future, she can explore new things, she gets to be in an environment that she's sure can help her improve her writing. Cons: she'll miss her current job tremendously, she'll have to adapt to a new environment and as someone who's scared of changes, she doesn't look forward to this huge change and she'll see less and less of Niall.

"You should take it," he says. He places a hand on her waist and pulls her to him, kissing her.

Brooklyn pulls back a little to look at him. "What?"

"I think you should take the job," he repeats. "It's a brilliant opportunity, Bee, you can't pass it up because you'll see less of me."

Her eyes widen. "You went through my pros and cons list?"

He nods sheepishly. "I saw it on your desk the other day. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry."

"It's okay."

"You should ignore the cons list," he tells her.

"But that's not just it," she says. "What if it's not the right job for me? Or what if I can't handle it? I like where I am right now." She huffs, frustration growing in her.

"Are you kidding me? If there's anyone who could handle anything thrown her way, it's you. And yes, of course you like where you are right now because it's your comfort zone but you'll be so much happier at the new workplace. Look at Suki – she's practically glowing when we last saw her."

Brooklyn chews on her bottom lip – a habit she picks up lately – whilst she mulls over Niall's words. He's right about her liking where she's at because she's in her comfort zone. Changes scare her but they're not always bad – she needs to drill those words into her brain.

"I don't know," she mumbles. "I'll feel bad for leaving the place that makes me who I am today."

"Don't be. I know Dean would be happy for you."

"We'll see less of each other."

"I have a solution for that," he says nervously. Brooklyn kinks an eyebrow at him, waiting for him to continue. "Move in with me," he continues. "Or I can move in with you since your place is bigger. Or we can get a place together."

Brooklyn gapes. Although they've been dating for almost two years, they've not once talked about moving in together. They're pretty comfortable with their routine: sometimes Niall would stay at her place and sometimes she would stay at his. He keeps a few of his things in hers and she, his. They've never considered moving in together because they see so much of each other in their everyday lives. And even when they don't stay at each other's place, they'd still see the other first thing in the morning at work. But if she takes the job, his face won't be the first thing she sees in the morning, which is a bummer because it's become something that she likes to see – apart from a cup of coffee, that is – unless they move in together.

"...but if you don't think it's a good idea, it's okay." Niall adds when his suggestion is met with silence. She didn't even realise that she hasn't said a word.

"What?"

"I just thought that maybe we're ready to move in together. I mean, we are, yeah? We've dated for almost two years so—"

"Yeah," Brooklyn doesn't let him finish. He raises an eyebrow at her. "Let's move in together."

Niall lets out the breath he's been holding and presses his lips against Brooklyn's. But the kiss ends as soon as it starts. "Wait, are we moving in to my place or your place or a completely new place? I'm fine with any of those options."

"Wanna make pros and cons list?" She suggests.

He laughs. "Can't believe I'm saying this... but yes, I wanna make pros and cons list with you."

a/n: aaaaaand that's it, folks. that's the end to Brooklyn and Niall. Thank you so much for reading this from the beginning until the ending. It means a lot! If you have some questions about them, feel free to message me or talk to me on tumblr: booksncoffee.tumblr.com :)