Chapter 12

I ended up a drunken mess by the end of the night. I had called Audrey and asked if she could pick me up, fully aware I would only do something to embarrass myself.

"Charlie?" Audrey spoke appalled by my appearance getting out of her car and jogging over to me worriedly.

I was disheveled and sloppy, haven't having a care in the world as I leaned on the wall outside of the pub.

"Audrey." I kicked myself up off the wall, stumbling over my own feet and smiling widely at her like an idiot.

"Care to explain why you called me in the middle of the night drunk and crying?" Audrey questioned slinging my arm over her shoulders to steady me.

"I wasn't crying." I slurred defensively.

"You were sobbing on and on about Paul, whoever that bloke may be." She furrowed her eyebrows over at me inquisitively as she began walking me back to the car.

"He lied to me." I pouted shutting my eyes out of exhaustion, unwilling to pour out who he was and risk sounding like I completely lost it.

"Well he's probably a miserable sod anyhow. Let me take you back to mine and you can stay the night." She smiled to me comfortingly.

"Thank you." I grinned warmly back, my eyes shutting slightly out of sleep deprivation.

"We're having a proper conversation about this in the morning when you've sobered up, I've never even heard you talk about a Paul before." She mumbled making me groan slightly in protest.
                 ___________________

I woke up the next morning with a raging hangover. It was even worse that yesterday, I could barely even move without feeling like I'd been hit by a truck.

I realized I had no recollection of the night before, but I knew I was in Audrey and Ben's guest room although I was unsure of exactly how I'd ended up here. Audrey must've gave me one of her nightgowns because I was wearing a short silk bubblegum pink nightgown I couldn't imagine anyone but Audrey to actually own.

"Wake up sleepy head." Audrey sang softly bringing a tray of food into the room.

"You're awake." She noticed with a smile coming over and setting the tray of food beside me.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up as she sat on the edge of the bed.

"What's the occasion?" I asked her looking at the food like it may be poisoned.

"I just want to make sure you're alright is all." She spoke nonchalantly with a shrug.

"Uh huh." I nodded with slight hesitation picking up the glass of orange juice and taking a small sip.

"You were pretty upset when you called me to pick you up, you kept on talking about some bloke, Paul," She rambled.

I began coughing, the juice having been inhaled as I gasped in shock. I couldn't believe I'd called Audrey about Paul, there was no way she'd leave this alone until she knew every single detail.

"So that's why you're being so nice." I smirked slightly in amusement.

She leaned back with a guilty look on her face.

"He's no one, I don't even know what I was talking about. I was absolutely hammered yesterday." I shook my head trying to sound as convincing as I possibly could.

"Sure." She looked at me not believing a word I said.

"Here, lets go get you some clothes to wear and then you can freshen up before we go pack up the apartment yeah?" Audrey smiled.