Chapter 18

Yujin's POV

"Okay, lift your arms for me, please."

I did as instructed, raising them parallel to the floor as the woman wrapped a tape-measure around my waist and my hips. She hurriedly scribbled into her little notebook, sitting back to analyze my features as the gears in her head turned.

It had been several days since the boys and I returned from our trip to the mountain. The guys were all doing their own things in preparation for the gala at the end of the week, while I was now being measured for a custom-tailored dress.

"What do you envision yourself in?" The woman, Mrs. Bae she had introduced herself as, asked me as she sat back with her pencil behind her ear.

I looked up in thought before shrugging an answer. "Nothing too out there, probably something dark, honestly. I like things simple."

The woman nodded, grabbing her pencil to jot down a quick sketch. "I agree, I see you as more mellow. Something seemingly plain, but something that will cause eyes to linger." She scans my figure. "You have an excellent physique, mind flaunting that?"

I arched a brow. "I guess not."

Mrs. Bae finished her sketch rather swiftly, probably from years of experience, before turning her sketch pad towards me. Her lips were tilted into a half-grin. "What do you think?"

My gummy smile makes its appearance as I eyeball her creation. "It's perfect."

~*~

Since the rest of my day was free of schedule, I decided to head home and relax. It was nearly evening, anyway, so there wasn't much to do. Plus the sky was ominous with dark clouds, a warning for an incoming rain shower. As I exited the elevator I fumbled with my keys to find the proper one. Not at all noticing the lone figure that loitered in the hall right outside her door.

"Yujin." The stern voice called out, causing my heart to stop and my steps to freeze in place.

There goes my good day, I thought bitterly to myself.

I cautiously tilted my head up to glance the person, my body tense. "Mother."

She crossed her arms. "Have you been avoiding me?"

"What makes you say that?" I wondered with fake bafflement. I pushed past her to insert my key into its keyhole, twisting the knob and shoving my door open. I didn't invite her in, knowing she'd make herself comfortable.

As I expected, the door shut behind me and my kitchen filled with the echo of the sharp clicks from my mother's heels. "You've been dodging my calls, avoiding my texts, and your father's, and stopped sharing your location with me."

I stopped digging through my pile of mail as I looked at her plainly. "Hmph, that does sound like avoidance. Weird." I moved past her to open up my fridge in search of nothing in particular. "I'm a grown woman, you don't have to know my every whereabout."

"Min Yujin!" She exclaimed, stomping her foot. "Look at me and show some respect. I am your mother."

I let out a heavy huff and reluctantly shut my fridge, turning to face her. I decided against voicing my thoughts on her statement. Adding fuel to the fire would not be a wise decision. "What do you want, mother? Why are you here?"

"Why did you lie to me the other day? What were you doing?" She interrogated.

"I was with some coworkers." Not a lie.