twenty five - "you and brad were all snug"

I sit on my bed, playing on my phone as I wait for Brad to finish changing

I sit on my bed, playing on my phone as I wait for Brad to finish changing. I had decided to let him sleep on my bed and I'll grab some cushions from downstairs to sleep on.

"I gave your mum my dirty clothes and she said she'll wash them," Brad says as he peeks his head around the corner. I was still in my pyjamas from earlier when he arrived, while he was stood in my brother's clothes that seemed only a size too big for him. "She said you were still up here."

"I usually am," I shrug and put my phone on charge. "So I was thinking we can share the bed? There's enough room for us both. If you don't wanna share I'll sleep on the floor."

"It's fine, we can share," he smiles as he perches himself on the bed, looking around my room.

It wasn't a huge room, but it wasn't small either. The walls were white except the wall that my bed was pressed against, which had grey brick wallpaper. There was a white carpet with some coffee stains and at the foot of my bed was a TV where I'd watch Netflix. There was some drawers full of my clothes near my window and a nightstand on either side of my bed.

"We can watch a film if you want? Before we go to sleep," I suggest and Brad looks over to me with a small smile, nodding. I pat the spot next to me and he comes over, laying underneath the quilts with me.

I grab my remote and turn on my television, waiting for Netflix to load. Brad shuffles closes and puts his arm over my shoulder and I look at him with a confused look.

"Uh, I'm cold," he says. "Body heat will keep me warm or something like that."

"Yeah, or something like that," I roll my eyes knowingly and a small smile is stretching on to his face. I click on my Netflix profile and start scrolling through the movies. "Any suggestions?"

"What's that Adam Sandler film called where they all go on holiday? That's a really good film!"

"Oh, Uh," I take a second to think. "Grown ups!"

"That's it," he remembers. "Can we watch that?"

I nod and search it up, clicking on the film before putting the remote on my nightstand, leaning into Brad's chest as his arm is still over my shoulders.

As the film begins, I hear it start raining as raindrops aggressively start banging on my window and I roll my eyes, turning up the tv as the rain drowns it out. Brad starts playing with my hair that's fallen down my shoulders, twirling it around his fingers and plaiting it, too.

It doesn't take long into the film before I feel my eyes dropping and I want to go to sleep but I feel rude falling asleep on Brad and while he's still awake.

I try and keep my eyes open for as long as I can, but Brad notices and chuckles, letting go of my hair and reaching over for the remote and turning the tv off.

"You should get to sleep," he says, turning off the lamp on his side of the bed that was illuminating the room.

I move off of him and he slides down so that his head rested on the pillow next to mine. I copied his actions so that we were face to face.

"Thank you for letting me stay."

"It's fine," I shrug in reply. If I had turned Brad away, I would've been a shitty person because he came to me for help, for somewhere to stay for a bit to get a break from his parents.

I let my eyes fall, ready to go to sleep and as I begin to feel myself drift in to unconsciousness, I feel Brad's lips against my forehead.

I'm the first to wake up the next morning out of me and Brad. His arm is over my waist and my back is against his chest as soft snores escape his lips that are not even an inch away from my ear.

I turn around under his grasp so that I'm facing him and smile lightly at his messy hair as I ran my fingers through it. His hair was always soft and curly and I loved the way it felt between my fingers.

"Hmm, good morning," he hums, his voice quiet and raspy as he moves his arm off of my waist so he can rub his eyes. He places it back on it as he smiles down at me.

"Hi," I smile up at him, removing my hands from his hair and he pouts. "What?"

"I liked your hands in my hair. It felt nice."

"Tough luck," I say and turn over to my digital clock which read that its almost ten in the morning. "We should get some breakfast."

"Are we doing anything today?" He questions, sitting up off of the bed as I do the same, throwing my hair in a bobble in an attempt to tame it.

"I have no plans, but you should probably go home and talk to your parents," I suggest and he lets out a sigh of defeat. I suppose he was hoping to stay for another night or something. "You're in no rush to leave, though. My mum won't mind catering for you."

He just nods in reply and we walk downstairs, me leading the way into the kitchen even tho I'm sure he knows where it is anyway. My mum bustles around cleaning, my brother sits at the kitchen island eating some toast and Carl is fixing his tie in the mirror.

"Hey," Daniel smiles over to Brad, completely ignoring me and I scoff, rolling my eyes as Brad waves back. I walk over to the bread bin and see that there's none left, letting out an annoyed sigh.

"Seriously, Daniel? You just had to eat the last of the bread, didn't you?"

"Someone had to," he rolls his eyes back at me. "It's not my fault you and Brad were all snug upstairs so you didn't get to eat the rest of the bread."

I sigh, turning to Brad who was still sat awkwardly by the doorway, "do you wanna sit down? I'll find something for us to eat."

He nods and sits down next to Daniel, my brother instantly engaging in a conversation with him about a football game from the other night.

I find some beans and some bacon and eggs and decide to cook them. My mum leaves and gives me a kiss on the cheek, telling me to behave and that she'll be back late.

It takes half an hour for me to finish cooking everything and plate it up before I hand a plate to Brad, as well as some cutlery.

"Thanks," he smiles and I sit next to him. By now, Carl and Dan have both left for work together and it was just Brad and I are the only ones at home.

"So I was thinking of going shopping today," I suggest and Brad looks up from my food, waiting for me to elaborate. "We can get the train into Birmingham and then go to the Bullring? My mum was complaining about how I don't have enough clothes so I'm gonna buy some more and since you're here I thought you'd like to come with me."

"Alright. Shopping it is, then."

unedited.