CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: Prelude to War

ERALD

SINADYA KONG magpa-late sa klase ngayong Biyernes. I had to go to the police station. No, I did not commit a crime or was I involved in any. May kinailangan lang akong alamin mula sa kanila. The lingering thought in my mind was at last confirmed.

Today's the day of the senior high school acquaintance party. The enthusiasm of Grade 11 and 12 students was dampened by the "threat" brought about by the scene-stealer K-OS Club.

Huminto ako sa tapat ng malaking bulletin board sa entrance hall. Nakakumpol doon ang mga estudyanteng binabasa ang nagbabagang balitang hatid ng Clark Clarion.

Rogue K-OS Club to cause chaos in 1st SHS party

That wasn't a breaking news to me since I have already known about the threat. But for the students around me, there was fear. There was concern. May mga narinig akong nagbubulungan sa kanan ko, ang sabi'y baka hindi na sila mag-attend mamaya dahil sa banta ng rogue club.

Our student publication wasn't helping the situation of the student council. Mukha ngang nakatulong pa sila sa agenda ng K-OS Club. Imagine if there was a low turn out of students in the party later. The student council would be embarrassed. Hindi pa kasama riyan ang gimik na iniluluto ng mga walang magawa sa buhay.

"So this is the club that I have read about?" a female student behind me remarked. Her voice was strangely familiar so I looked over my shoulder.

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko nang makita ang mukha ni Charlotte na nakangiti sa akin. I was at a loss for words, hindi ko alam kung anong sasabihin sa kanya.

She tilted her head to the right with furrowed eyebrows. "Bakit ganyan ka makatingin sa akin? Para kang nakita ng multo. Are you not happy to see me?"

Umiling ako at sinubukang mag-compose ng matinong reply sa kanya. "Ang akala ko kasi, hindi ka pa makakapasok ngayon."

"Gumaling na rin ang sipon ko kaya wala na akong mahahawa sa inyo," she beamed on me. "Missing out another day or two might get me into trouble. Oras na para pumasok na ulit ako. I also want to work with you and Clyde in the club again."

I'm more relieved to hear that she no longer has that contagious illness. Ayaw kong magkasakit at um-absent sa klase, lalo na ngayong may nagpapainit sa mga eksena. Well, if I ever get colds, ihahawa ko na lang ang ate kong si Maddie. Damay-damay na 'to.

"And I also look forward to working with you again."

Nope, that wasn't me. Just in time, Clyde appeared out of nowhere and joined in the discussion. His rectangular spectacles reflected the blinding light outside.

"Nakahanda na ang camera ko para sa documentation!" Charlotte showed us the gadget hanging around her neck. "This is the restart of our adventures as the QED Club!"

"As it happens, we already have a case to solve," Clyde responded, staring at the news on the bulletin board. "Tamang-tama ang timing ng pagbalik mo. This is going to be big."

Muling nagawi sa board ang tingin ni Charlotte. "Are we going after that rogue club?"

"Let us discuss the details in the clubroom," sagot ni Clyde. "We still have twenty minutes before our classes start."

Pinauna ko nang maglakad ang dalawa kong kasama. Charlotte asked for what happened in the club during her absence while Clyde responded accordingly, telling her the most trivial stuff.

My thoughts drowned my hearing. I was too absorbed on a thought that I found to be either a coincidence or a trick by fate. Napatingin ako sa aking bag kung saan nakapaloob ang report na kinuha ko mula sa police station. Tanda ko pa ang sinabi noon ni Maddie na mapaglaro ang tadhana. I thought that was just about me and Charlotte. It turned out that I was wrong.