EPILOGUE: Mr. President

ERALD

MANY LEGENDS have sat on the swivel chair in the office of the student council president. Nakaupo nga ako ngayon dito, hinihimas-himas ang armrest at paikot-ikot sa loob. Apparently, only the president has his own office within the student council office. He can have a private time for himself, if he wanted to.

On the mahogany table in front of me was a photo frame showing the wide smiles of the previous student council officers (because there's a new president now). Nahagip ng mga mata ko ang itsura ni Maddie na plastik kung makangiti. 'Di masyadong halata na may plano siyang mag-take over.

But that was not true. My theory about her being a power-grabbing backstabber was flawed. In the end, she wasn't the one who wanted to take the throne upon the abdication of the queen. That was entirely someone else.

I slapped down the photo frame and reclined on the legendary swivel chair, putting my hands behind my head. Ang sarap sigurong magkaroon ng ganitong office.

May mga kaluskos akong narinig sa labas. Binuksan ang pinaka-pinto ng student council office at sinundan ng ilang mga yabag ng sapatos.

"Congratulations, Mister President!" I heard Maddie's voice outside.

"Thank you, Madam Vice President."

So he's already here, huh? Mukhang kakatapos lang ng victory party nila.

The footsteps grew louder until they came into a halt. May pumihit ng doorknob at dahan-dahang itinulak ang pinto papasok. The light outside also entered, illuminating the dimly lit president's office.

On the doorway, the newly elected President Reign Imperial stood. Instead of asking what I was doing in his new office, he only shot me with a questioning stare. Unti-unti niyang isinara ang pinto at ini-lock din ito.

Tumayo ako't inilapag ang aking mga palad sa mesa. Reign walked slowly toward the mahogany table.

"Congratulations, Mister President!" I greeted with a false smile. "Normally, I would offer you a handshake, but your hands are filthy. Figuratively, of course. Well manicured naman ang mga kamay mo."

"I have been looking for you at the gymnasium," Reign said, maintaning his innocent face and calm tone that have deceived me from the beginning.

"I wanted to congratulate you in person, alone, that's why I went ahead here," I explained. "How did I get inside? We have a lockpicking manual at the QED Club. Picking the lock of your office was a piece of cake. May I suggest changing them for your security."

"Let's drop the act, Erald," Reign stood just one spit away from me. Tanging ang mesa ang nasa pagitan naming dalawa. "You are not the type of person who would go through such lengths just to say congratulations to me."

"You are also not the type of person that I thought you were," I countered. "Tatapatin na kita. I was actually rooting for you to win the presidency. I joined the race so I could ruin my sister's chance of winning. Before she withdrew earlier, nagbabalak na akong magsalita para ipahayag na umuurong na ako at sabihan ang mga botante na suportahan ka. But that was no longer necessary."

"I appreciate that you trust me with this prestigious position," Reign replied. "As what your sister said, the presidency is a serious matter."

"Trusted is the more appropriate term now," I rebutted. "I supported you until the minute that I realized what a wretched man you are. Admittedly, I was blinded by my beef with my sister that I failed to see on who else was taking advantage of the situation. You were the last person in my list."