A Grave Situation

You and your sister where always close. You did everything together, including the things that you probably shouldn't have done. You remembered one time your parents entrusted you both to buy a cake for your grandma's birthday. Now, you didn't like your grandma. Needless to say, the message on the cake wasn't... the nicest. But, oh man, did you and your sister have a good laugh over that!

You remembered how happy you had been when your parents had announced a family holiday, how excited you had been to spend the summer away with them.

Yeah. You remembered what it was like to feel happy.

You wiped your eyes with the back of your hand as you stared down at the harsh stone, crudely carved into a rectangular shape, and then stuck in the ground and not given a second thought. Her name, it sat engraved there, and you sobbed when you thought of how in years to come, that name would fade with age. You bit the side of your thumb as you began to cry harder, closing your eyes in anguish. You just didn't want to be alone.

And that was when you heard the faint sound of crying, coming from around the corner. You wiped your eyes once more, although your face was still reminiscent of the tears, and walked towards the noise. The tears sounded young, the sobs mirroring your own. You stood at the corner, and watched, frozen, as a boy your age sat knelt in front of a gravestone, his gloved hands covering his face. You deliberated for a moment, before walking over to him.

"Are you okay?" You asked, although it was a silly question. He didn't look at you.

Of course he didn't. This was a cemetery. He probably didn't want anyone near him, and you bit back on your lips. There was something about him; you just couldn't leave him. You knelt down next to him, and put your hand on his shoulder.

"Are you okay?" You asked again, and he looked up at you, with shock on his face.

"(Y/N)?" He asked, and you gasped.

"Varian!" You exclaimed, pulling him into a hug, before letting go in embarrassment.

"Sorry," you said sheepishly, and looked at him. Boy, he'd changed.

"You look different," Varian said, wiping his eyes, trying to appear strong.

"Yeah, well last time I saw you, we were what, thirteen?" You said, rubbing your arm. You stood up, and he followed your action.

"Four years," he said in disbelief, and you looked up at him, then back down at the headstone, reading the writing.

"Oh my goodness, Varian I'm so sorry," you said, crying again. Varian's eyes widened as he saw your tears, and pulled you into a hug.

"It's okay, it was a long time ago," he comforted, and you looked up at him, seeing as he'd grown taller than you.

"What happened?" You asked, sniffing.

"It was a lab accident. He got trapped in some kind of impenetrable amber, and I couldn't get him out. When I did... he wasn't breathing. He hadn't been for some time," Varian recalled, his own eyes welling up with tears. You placed your hand on his shoulder, your hand shaky.

"I'm sorry," you said, feeling helpless. He shrugged.

"Nothing you could have done," he said, and you could tell he didn't want to talk about it anymore. You looked down.

"Why are you here?" He asked, still looking at the headstone.

"(S/N) died," you said, your face stone, and Varian's eyes went wide.

"Wha-how?" He questioned, confused.

"Landslide. The cart got trapped under some rocks and she got crushed," you said, the recollection of the story causing a ball of heat to well up in your chest.