Part 1

You closed the door as you left, turning to lock it behind you. You shivered against the chill of the night air, your breath billowing around you. You wrapped your arms around yourself and started walking down the back alley, heading out to the main street and to home. You were exhausted and in only a few short hours you would be back to get things started for the next day.

You heard a shuffling as you passed the dumpsters and glanced over, noticing something shifting between them. You paused, squinting and realized that it was the tightly curled body of a fairly small male cat hybrid. It looked like he had wedged himself between the dumpsters to try and stay out of the wind. His head was tucked under his arm, only his messy, tangled blonde locks and grey ears could be seen over his shoulder. You frowned. It was far too cold tonight for someone to sleep outside in the alley.

You approached him slowly, reaching your hand out toward him to gently tap his shoulder. "Kitty-" you started, before being cut off by a hiss as he quickly sat up, his ears pressed against his head and his tail puffed out in fright. You froze, your hand still outstretched. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you. I won't hurt you," you said in a soothing tone, offering your hand for him to smell.

The man sniffed your hand tentatively, his ears swiveling in curiosity. That smell - his eyes went wide and his ears perked toward you suddenly. The reason he had wandered into this alley to begin with was because it smelled so good, and the same scent was coming off your skin even more strongly. His lips parted in surprise as he looked up at you. You smelled like -

"Cake? I know," you said chuckling, "I own the bakery in this building," you continued, gesturing toward the door you had just come out of. He didn't reply, just continued to peer at you, his tail swishing behind him. "Do...you have a name?" You asked, not sure what to say.

"Of course I have a name," he said, scoffing and turning his head away from you.

"Of course you do, I'm sorry. I uh...I always wanted a hybrid but I've always been too afraid to adopt one. So, I don't know a lot about...hybrids," You finished lamely, looking nervously at your feet.

"Why?" He asked, turning his head back to you.

"Why what?" You looked back up at him, having forgotten what you had just finished saying already.

"Why were you afraid?" He asked, watching for your reaction.

"Well..." you answered thoughtfully, "I always worried that I wouldn't be a good companion. I work long hours at the bakery, but I'm lonely when I'm home. And I always feel like it isn't right to go pick out a hybrid, like, what if they don't like me? If they're stuck with me because I adopted them and so they have to put up with me every day..." you sighed, "a hybrid is a big commitment and I am just scared I won't do it right."

"Jimin," he mumbled, tearing his eyes away from you to look at his tail which he held in his lap.

"What?" You asked, not having heard him.

"My name," he replied, "it's Jimin."

You smiled big at him, "well Jimin, I'm y/n and - it's too cold tonight for you to sleep out here. Come to my apartment and I will give you a warm - well I don't have a spare bed, but I do have a couch and it is warm and soft."

Jimin considered you for a moment. He had become distrustful of humans after his last owner. But he was getting a good feeling about you...and you did smell so good. "Ok," he replied simply, rising to his feet to follow you.

You smiled and headed off again, him following a couple steps behind all the way to your apartment. When you got up to it you bustled around, gathering blankets and pillows to make the couch more comfortable for him. "The bathroom is through there and if you would like to wash up feel free, there are towels in the cupboard."

He took a quick shower and dressed back in the clothes he had been wearing before heading back out to find you in the arm chair by the couch, a steaming mug in your hands and your eyes drooping. He noticed the couch was ready for him and there was a second mug on the coffee table in front of it. You smiled sleepily at him as he sat on the couch and sniffed the mug tentatively before picking it up and sipping. He looked at you with wide eyes after he tasted it, his lips forming a small smile as he went back eagerly for another taste.

You chuckled and sipped your own mug, "I do make pretty good hot chocolate, I know," you set your mug down and looked at him. "Listen, Jimin..." you started and he looked up at you, his mug forgotten when he heard your serious tone. "If we get along, and you would like to stay here, I meant what I said about wanting a hybrid. I have been lonely for a while and I feel like...maybe it was fate that brought us together tonight," you sighed, standing and shaking your head, "or maybe I'm just being a silly romantic." You smiled at him. "Please make yourself at home and let me know if you need anything."

You headed toward your room but paused in the doorway, "kitties like to cuddle, right?" You said, glancing back at his surprised face, "if you stay, maybe you can cuddle in my bed with me tomorrow," you gave him one last smile and headed off to bed.

Jimin lowered himself onto the couch, thinking. He had been living on the streets for months, and honestly he didn't mind it too much when the weather was warm - but the nights had been longer and so cold lately and he knew it wouldn't be long before the weather took a real turn. Maybe it would be nice to stay here with y/n...

 Maybe it would be nice to stay here with y/n

-

Hi!

Thanks for checking out my story - this is my first fic :)

I hope you keep reading and you like where the story goes from here!

-

Edit: if you would like to watch this chapter, there is a video made by the lovely _cutiepietae_ and here is the link:
https://youtu.be/T_SgwYuR_ZQ