35. One, Two, Three.

"Still thinking about what kind of token you want to give Wren?" Alexi asked looking around the colorful market.

After spending a blissful honeymoon they relocated to 'the safe house' as it was mockingly referred too, soon settling into a comfortable routine. They were accompanied by a small, handpicked staff and spend their days tending to activities most suited to their personalities. Art and Alexi divided their attention between the livestock and the garden. Wren and Rafael hunted for fish and game. The evenings were spend together, smiling and knowing that adding children to the mix would only enhance their happiness.

"I'm not sure what he would like", Art admitted rubbing his big belly under his travel-cloak. "He has very few possessions and doesn't wear jewelry." He bit his lip. "Actually I've been leaning towards getting matching tattoos."

"What a great idea", Alexi gasped. "Let me make all the arrangements so that next time we visit the Summer Palace you can have them placed." He let out a giddy laugh. "To think that we'll both have children by then. Your boys will be six months and mine three."

They entered the teahouse that had become a fixed resting point in the daily walks Winny, the by Darren appointed midwife and Witch, had recommended. She had also placed a concealment spell on both of them to hide their swollen bellies.

Alexi gallantly helped Art take a seat by the fire and ordered a pot of tea and two slices of cinnamon cake. "Have you thought of names yet?" he curiously asked. Art frowned making him smile. "Yes, I know it's uncommon to ask, but be honest. You already know the gender and designation, so why stand on ceremony?"

Art snorted. "Wren wants to hold true to tradition and name each baby after their wolf has joined them. It makes no difference to me, so I'll go with his wishes." He shifted in his seat shrugging off his cloak. "Anyway, you won't have to wait much longer. Winny said that I'm due any day now."

"So what will you call them until then?" Alexi inquired tucking into his cinnamon cake. "It took almost two weeks for Charlotte to present herself."

"For identification purposes we will designate the babies One, Two and Three, according to the order in which they are born", Art smirked, telling Alexi that this was his idea.

"Will the firstborn have an advantage over his siblings?" he asked with interest.

Art cocked his head. "Meaning, will the first born be your daughter's mate?" He raised his shoulders. "Who knows? Multiple births are rare and everything about our situation is unique, so I really can't give you a sensible answer."

Continuing with some small talk Art grew gradually more uncomfortable with the small, sharp stabs of pain in his lower back. It wasn't until the stabs increased in frequency and intensity causing pearls of sweat to pool under his nose that he alerted Alexi. "It seems that my boys are as eager to meet you as you are."

Four months of imagining labor couldn't compare with the excruciating pain of reality.

"I hope you're happy with three kids, because I'm not ever doing this again!" He bellowed at Wren who paled at the water mixed with blood slowly dripping on the floor.

"Push, Art. Push!" Winny urged.

"What do you think I've been doing for the past thirty-six hours, Winnifred?" he snarled at her.

Tauntingly using the name she hated was a clear indication that Art was at the end of his strength. He couldn't take much more of this.

"You're doing great. We're almost there", Winny said looking between his wide open legs.

At first Art had been deeply embarrassed by the position, but now he was at a point that he could care less who saw him. "Just get these babies out of me", he pleaded before another contraction ripped through him.

"Push. Yes, Art, go on like this. I can see a head crowning."

Wren made the mistake of looking between Art's legs. The sight of the head protruding from his mate's body was too much. He unceremoniously fainted.

"Wake him up!" Art yelled at Rafael who was standing outside the room dreading the look and smell of childbirth. Lifting the soon to be father to his feet proved difficult enough to distract him from things he really didn't want to see.

"You'll be fine", Winny said slapping Wren with a cold wet cloth. "Be ready because the first one is about to be born."

The cold cloth and sobering words did their job. Wren was ready and alert, steeling himself from a repeat performance. However when his firstborn landed in the hands of Winny with an audible plop he no longer cared about the blood and grease and other bodily fluids. He stared at the beautiful being placed in his arms and fell in love.

"Wake up, Daddy. Baby number two is incoming", Winny warned him.

He reluctantly gave his firstborn to a nurse who would check the baby and clean him up. His hands weren't empty for long.

"Baby boy number two", Winny smiled at Art while handing the baby to Wren. "One more to go."

Art felt completely depleted. His last ounce of energy was used to push one final time, but the moment the baby cleared his pelvic bone he lost consciousness.

Alexi gazed down at the newborn baby in his arms and stroked the soft hairs of the one designated as Three. One and Two were carried by their father who was pacing around worried about his mate. They were waiting for Art to regain consciousness, passing out of pure exhaustion after being in labor for more than thirty-six hours.

"He's waking up", Rafael reported. He volunteered to assist Winny in cleaning up the room and keeping an eye on Art. The reaction of Alexi and Wren when they saw Three for the first time made it clear to him that something was going on and his absence would provide them with the opportunity to talk. Looking at their faces he could tell that they didn't.

"Go in", Alexi gestured Wren with his head. "I'm right behind you."

Art smiled brightly at them and sat up straight when he saw the two small bundles in Wren's arms. He reached out for them immediately and frowned when Wren shook his head.

"I need to tell you something first", he said making Art swallow nervously.

"Is something wrong?" His eyes darted franticly between the two bundles in Wren's arms and the one held by Alexi. "Say something. You're scaring the crap out of me."

Wren took a step forward. "One and Two are perfectly healthy baby boys, but Three is..." He scraped his throat.

"What?!" Art demanded looking intently at the slightly moving bundle in Alexi's arms. "A runt? Deaf, blind, missing limbs? Like I would love him any less!" Art hissed glaring around the room defying the doubting eyes staring at him. "He's perfect the way he..."

"Is a girl", Wren finally managed to finish.

Art felt like Wren had punched him in the gut. Charlotte tried not to feel offended by the strong negative emotions this mismatch invoked in Art. She could relate to his struggles always feeling out of place. Never being acknowledged for who you are. Always judged on your designation, unable to show your true nature. To have his daughter suffer the same fate felt like a terrible injustice.

"Why?" he cried, pouring all of his feelings into the matingbond.

Reaching out his arms, demanding his offspring, Wren laid down next to him supporting One and Two in the crook of his arms and placing Three on his chest. Love overflowed his heart as three carbon-copies of Wren looked up at him.

"Two bodyguards and a playmate for the Princess. Who could ask for more", Alexi smiled.

Art let out a sharp gasp when Three suddenly latched onto his nipple and began to suckle.

"Somehow I think this little one is going to be a rebel."