"Lost Without You": Mako

A/N: Okay! I wanna say thank you so much to Dadoubledeeds for requesting this. It means a lot to me that you like my writing!

Now, on to the plot: it happens during the events of Book One. Its been a while since I've watched it so it won't be perfect detail-wise, but I promise it'll all make sense! In this, you're a competent fighter, but you get hurt, and your boyfriend stands by your side throughout it all. You'd always be safe with him.

He really cares about you.

{{Lines indicate time skips, as usual}}

___________

Darkness closed in around you. Night was falling; the day had faded, and you had to move. The mission you'd been roped into was a difficult one, but you'd stick by your friends' sides through anything. You were strong, and they knew it.

"Mako. Korra. You two come with me and {Y/N}." The calm, hushed female voice did little to soothe your anxiety. Why were you so much more nervous than normal? "Bolin and Chief Beifong will go with the other earthbenders until we rendezvous here." A young woman pointed to a red circle, surrounding a section of the Dragon Flats borough of the city you'd sworn to help defend, the tan map curling around the edges as a harsh wind blew in from the north. "Got it?" You nodded.

"Asami." You spoke up. "Are you sure you're okay with this?" You felt a hand on your shoulder. "I mean, your father..."

"{Y/N}." Another voice you'd come to truly care for broke in.

"It's okay, Mako." Black hair swayed in the breezes around you as a light scent of jasmine permeated the scene. "She's right to question it. He's not on our side anymore."

"Let's go." Another female voice broke in. Two pairs of eyes met yours before you all looked away, the hand on your back a reminder of what -or who- had come between you.

"Just be safe." He was so close. You didn't need him to be so protective. "Don't do anything stupid." You shrugged him off.

"I'm never careless." You both smirked slightly at that.

The light was even dimmer inside the compound. After years of feeling inferior to the bending "elite" of Republic City, the Equalists truly became a force to be reckoned with. You hoped they'd been less prepared this time, but you were wrong.

Behind you, a flash of lightning struck, and before you could do anything, you felt a heavy, jarring jolt, electricity pulsating before you fell to the floor. A dull ringing filled your ears, drowning out the sound of screaming, and you swore you heard someone crying as you felt yourself start to go under. You felt someone lift you off the ground as you closed your eyes, the aroma of fire surrounding you, brightness lighting up the darkness for only a moment.

___________

You inhaled sharply, as a searing sensation filled your lungs. Your chest burned, your eyes stung, and your head felt like someone had struck it with some sort of blunt weapon. You looked around as your vision cleared, at first afraid, unsure of where you were.

All at once, you realised you'd been attacked. Ash and smoke, fire and water, memories of everything that happened returned to you. You remembered; you lost. You shook your head as you continued to search for someone, anyone, and you feared the worst.