50. Your Name

당신의 이름

당신의 이름

6 months later...

The train was crowded. It seemed that the whole population of Seoul had been squeezed in a tiny place that same afternoon, their bodies packed to one another with limbs unable to move. Completely annoyed and silently raging, June couldn't reach to grab the support pole hanging just above her head. Not because her height didn't allow so, but rather because a tall man was doing the same.

The man's slender hand wrapped around the silver pole, his knuckles going white, his feet probably too from trying to stay glued to the floor beneath.

And June cursed the ride for the way they'd all been moving and rolling from side to side in the train like bags of old potatoes. Now she was almost sure she hated taking the train.

The excuses for feeling that way were understandable, from getting almost killed by it to the fact that the smallest inch of personal space completely vanishes when she steps inside the same train.

Though she dared not to think more, not to complain because that's how she met Namjoon.

On a slow and rather painful late afternoon commute, Namjoon was the one sitting next to her that day, asking her to join her company and meet new people, to get out of the bubble she'd created for herself.

June couldn't complain, even if the train was crowded and her lungs squeezed by the people around, she was still on time, still content. Ready to see her friend's first performance as a solo contemporary dancer.

All of sudden, the train screeched to a stop. As the brakes are pressed, causing the fall of unsteady passengers, their bodies squeezing a bit more, the sound of metal against another metal filled June's ears and she almost starts to rethink the whole giving the train another chance thing.

In the midst of it all, she could feel a slight breath brushing the skin of her neck. And she winced, awkwardly trying to jerk her body away from the tall man next to her but she couldn't move anyway.

Embarrassed, she finally looked up, small gaze locking with hair and eyes made of the same color. The man's cheeks, however, were flushed in a bright shade of red but he smiled regardless.

''I'm sorry'', he said, apologizing for the fact that his body might've collided with hers a bit too strong.

''It's okay.''

Out of nowhere, her legs felt weak and she struggled to remain cool, to stay normal, so to speak.

The man stood right next to her, so close that she could feel the beating of his heart since his chest was pressed against her ear. Head above hers, he was eyeballing a flyer June was holding in her hands, fingers playing with the edges of the freshly printed paper.

He's staring.

''Aha, a dance performance. Are you going alone?''

Immediate warmth spread through her cheeks.