45. Pas de Deux

빠드두

빠드두

It's been weeks since their last dance practice.

Days since they last saw each other, but only hours since Jimin was released from the hospital.

June was there when they released him. A doctor was there too – an older man, with a strange limp and weird accent. Without intentions, she overheard their conversation. They talked about a rehab center, somewhere outside the Gangbuk district and how it'd be a good idea for Jimin to visit it.

Only then June wished to have covered her ears when waiting for Jimin to pack his things. Because ignorance was much easier than having to bring up this matter in a conversation hours later or on a day after. Knowing Jimin, he would be silent about it.

After pulling the zipper of his backpack, Jimin thanked the doctor with a bow and rushed outside without a word on his mind – silent, just like always.

Even now, when everyone's voices rose up in the dance studio, the only missing one was Jimin's.

''Sis, you'll have to pay attention to the background music. Let that last part, the very small but present change of pitch in the melody be the guide for your appearance.'' But somehow, as soon as Hoseok started aggressively skipping through the scenes written on piles of paper in his hands, it all went back to normal.

''Namjoon, as the Duke arriving in the palace, you're going to stand here next to me and follow my lead when Jimin does the spin after the first wish comes true.''

Though normal meant for things to go back to how they used to be – smooth, consistent and no trouble lurking behind a corner.

Sadly, they were all out of it today. Boyoung was struggling to do spins without stumbling afterwards, Namjoon couldn't find his left shoe and Jimin wasn't even there, mentally so to speak. All of his focus was on a small camera his hands held.

To put it short, no one was paying attention. As if Hoseok's words were made without a structure of any kind at that moment. ''Hello? Is anyone even listening to me? I feel like I'm talking to a damn wall here.''

Feeling angry in the midst of it all, Hoseok still tried his best to stay calm.

''Hyung, calm down. We haven't even put our shoes yet.'' Namjoon opposed.

The rest of the crowd chuckled when the next thing they all can hear is a loud and sharp inhale through Hoseok's teeth, his head shaking along in annoyance. ''As if your shoes would somehow improve your performance.''

And they all laughed a bit louder, except for Namjoon who's standing still, powerless to say anything back because Hoseok was older than him – he couldn't disrespect his hyung.

Jimin, on the other hand, was younger by one year and 24 days and acted so, when he shoved the camera in Namjoon's face to capture a memorable moment that would usually be on a polaroid.