Home Again

"Where have you been?" I'm immediately attacked with as soon as I enter my house, "Why weren't you picking up the phone?"

"You were with her, weren't you?" Mama asks in a surprisingly calm tone.

I nod, looking up to see both of them wearing angry, yet relieved expressions. I did not expect the latter.

"Oliver's in jail." Mama finally whispers, prompting me to instantly wrap my arms around the pair, them returning it shortly.

"How long for?"

"We need to go to court, then he'll likely get a long sentence. All the evidence we have against him will make sure of that." Mom explains, and I nod.

"Good." I smile, relief coursing through me, "Good. He won't hurt us anymore, then.

Mama sniffles at my side and I squeeze her arm a little tighter. Of all of us, she's the one who had to deal with Oliver the most.

"Um... so..." I begin, pulling out of the embrace and nervously watching them for any shift in expression, "Is there anything else you want to say? Maybe about... my girlfriend?"

"Girlfriend?" Mom asks, frowning slightly.

"Mhmm." I hum, nodding, watching the series of confused faces that pass across the pair.

"You understand what could happen if anyone found out about you two, right? She could go to prison, Y/n. Lose her job at the very least."

"I know." I nod, sighing, "I really wish she wasn't my teacher. She was right, though. If we met in any other circumstance, I'd still have feelings for her and I'm sure she would too. You know how much the word 'girlfriend' means to me. I wouldn't ask just anyone to be that."

Collectively, we sigh, all for different reasons.

"Okay." Mama lets a small grin form, "We'll keep it quiet, won't we, [Mom's Name]?"

My mom is a little hesitant, but soon she nods. Then, though, before I can become relieved, she cocks a brow at me.

"You have to invite her over for dinner, though. Just cause she's your teacher doesn't make that any different."

"Oh god," I tease, "You guys better not embarrass me."

"No promises." They both say, making us all laugh.

Well, that went better than expected.

Life. Is. Hectic.