CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO.

→ CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO; NIGHTMARE.

It almost seemed like a dream as Hannah felt the cold wind on her body, the hairs on her arms raising up as she looked ahead at the two nuns who were stood at the prison gates. This was almost certainly the end of her job; the nuns would not tolerate this behaviour and they would not want the convent to be tarnished because one of their irrational midwives had got caught up with the wrong man.

"Hello," Sister Margaret said, attempting to make eye contact with Hannah but struggling. "I think you need a hot bath and bed."

"Yes, that would be lovely."

If it wasn't for the nuns, then Hannah would still have been locked up in the tiny, dirty prison cell with nothing but her own thoughts. Both Sister Maria and Sister Margret had been fighting hard to make sure that Hannah was released, claiming that they had no evidence to prove that she knew about Father Hughes death, that she was also a victim because she had been dragged into something that she had no clue about. It was all lies of course. Hannah knew everything about the death of Father Hughes, she had known from the start, but she wasn't going to let the Sister's know that. They had managed to get her released and she wasn't going to risk getting sent back.

'A clean record' where the words used by the judge when Hannah was acquitted of her crime. They had no idea, none of them did. Hannah had managed to create another personality, she was a different person when she was with Michael. When it was just herself, the nuns and the other midwives together at lunch time, she was sweet and innocent Hannah who didn't have a bad bone in her body. That Hannah was still there somewhere. When she was with Michael and his family, she suddenly became a woman that was hiding a murder and other crimes that had been committed by the unlawful family. Hannah loved Michael greatly, more than she had ever loved anybody but those lonely nights in the cell had made her question everything.

Why did he tell her about the murder? Michael easily could have kept it to himself, he should have known that Hannah was weak and wouldn't be able to handle it all and even though she had managed to keep it to herself for a few months, it didn't take away the fact that she was going to break soon.

Why did Tommy get the police involved? She shouldn't have fell for his lies and manipulation tactics. He kept Hannah on side by lying to her, telling her that he would protect Michael at all costs but where was he now? His family was locked up, being beaten by the guards for simply having the last name 'Shelby' and 'Gray' and he was nowhere to be seen, more than likely earning more money instead of helping the people he was meant to love.

Tommy knew that it was their wedding day as well. The day that Hannah would legally be bound to the Shelby's, the day she would marry the man that she was completely in love with. He had to ruin it. Maybe it was because Tommy was never happy and instead, constantly carrying a dark cloud above his head and passing it over to others. He was a troubled man, an evil one, that would sure get his comeuppance sooner or later.

"The car is here," Sister Maria said, snapping Hannah out of her thoughts. Hannah nodded and grabbed the bag that contained her wedding dress, it would be no use now. "Would you like me to take that?" Sister Maria asked, pointing towards the bag.

Hannah shook her head, she wanted to keep it close.

The drive back to Small Heath was full of apprehension and questions. What would all the mums in Small Heath think when Hannah returned? She had once been treasured, a good midwife who did her duty well and tried her hardest to make sure that every woman in Small Heath received the best medical help. People used to send her flowers and cards, thanking her for bringing their babies safely into the world. Hannah's reputation would never be the same again, she would never be a midwife again.