Chapter 14 ll It's there, the palpable electricity.

Zoey's POV

Boyfriend?

No no no, I don't want a boyfriend. Relationships freak me out.

Chris and I are just good friends. I admit that he's hot, attractive, caring, kind and even cute at times, but we're just good friends. I'm sure that he wouldn't be thinking otherwise.

Relationships are freaky.

You either end up getting married to the other person, or you'll have to endure a heartbreak from him. Not my type of thing.

I like books and calculators.

"Zoey! Are you dreaming of Chris?" Evelyn calls out and waves her spoon of ice cream at my face.

"What? No! I'm just thinking of homework. Yea... homework." I scowl at Evelyn when she shoots me a 'oh shut up, I know what's up' smile.

-

After we finished our ice cream, I went home. It's been quite a while since I last had some time together with Mother. She's been coming home late since Monday. It's Sunday today, she should be home earlier.

"Zoey? Are you at home?" The front door clicks unlocked. I hear shuffling and then heels clattering to the floor. Water starts to run from a faucet. Yay, she's back.

"Mom, I'm in my room." I drop my pen and push myself off the floor. Taking long strides, I jog down to see Mother. She's wearing a white blouse with a black pencil skirt. Her gray heels are scattered at the doorway. She splashes her face with water and pours herself a glass of ginger ale.

"Zoey, I'm going out for a dinner with my client, here's some money, get yourself dinner." Mother gulps down the cool liquid and rushes to her closet and pick out a black blazer and black heels.

"Take care, I'll be late, don't wait up. Love you," she instructs and gestures for me. I press my lips into a line, begrudgingly scoot over to her. She has just gotten home, and now she's going out!

With just a light peck on my temple and a tight squeeze on the shoulder, she closes the door and jogs to her vehicle. I sigh. And all along I thought we could spend some together today. I shove the money under an apple on the coffee table.

Heading into the kitchen, I gather the ingredients needed for a quick stir-fry.

My lips curve into a frown as I begin to slice the red peppers. I sigh mentally. I want to spend time with Mother. She's been so busy ever since the second week we moved here.

As I start to dice up the defrosted chicken, my phone starts to buzz.

I put down the knife and press my elbow onto the speaker button.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Zoey. It's Chris, can I go over to your's for a minute?" His voice sounds stoical, distant even. I can imagine him pressing his lips into a grim line, clenching his fingers tightly together by his side.

"Sure, okay. Have you eaten?"

"No." His voice remains impassive.

"Okay, come over then."

"I'm at your door."

I hang up and sashay my way to the door. He's fast.

With my elbows and the back of my forearms, I twist the door knob. The door clicks open and I'm greeted with Chris looking all glorious. He's dressed in a gray hoodie with a leather jacket over it. Then, there's the loose ripped jeans that he bought last time on a shopping trip with the boys and Evelyn and I.