Chapter Ten

I wake up on the couch to the smell of food cooking. I stretch before getting up and going into the kitchen.

"Hey, Sodapop," I say quietly as he mixes something in a bowl, "what are you doing?"

"Making chocolate cake. I forgot to make it last night when I got home from work and I didn't want to disappoint anyone, so I'm making it now." I nod and sit at the table. "So where did you guys go last night?" He asks.

"Um, we gave Martin a visit-"

"Martin- As in your dad?"

"Yeah. Anyways, after I grabbed some stuff we went out for some food. Sorry we took the car."

"It's okay, Darry and I needed some exercise anyways. And walking to and from work isn't so bad." I smile and reach into my pocket and pull out twenty dollars.

"Here," I say as I put the money on the table in front of me.

"Twenty dollars? For what?"

"Whatever you want to use it for. I suggest putting some more gas in the car."

"It doesn't take that much money to put gas in."

"Keep the change." I walk back into the living room and sit on the couch. "Where is everybody?" I ask.

"Ponyboy is already awake and went to the drive in with Dallas and Johnny."

"I didn't think they showed movies until after it got dark." My stomach swirls and my head pounds.

"They don't, but they'll probably hang around town until it does get dark."

"Okay, thanks." I lay my head down on the pillow beside me.

"Hey, I'll see you later. I have to go to work. Think you can take the cake out of the oven?"

"No problem."

--

The silence in the house scares me. After I got the cake out I must of fallen asleep because it's dark out now. I pull on a jacket and some shoes, maybe I'll go find Dallas.

I leave through the front door, the night is extremely chilly for school just starting up. I make my way through an alley and then through a small field of tangled weeds and knee length, dying grass. When I finally reach the chain link I wiggle through the hole. My head throbs as I stand up and make my way down to the chairs.

I spot Pony's dark hair glisten in the soft light, I approach him and ask "Where's Dallas?" A girl in front of us with red hair turns around.

"You mean the creep that was hitting on me?"

"He left." Ponyboy says, trying to avoid conflict with the red-head.

"Thanks," I nod, "would you like to come home now?" I ask and shortly after Pony stands up. "Would you like to come as well, Johnny?" He nods and gets up from his chair.

"Yeah, sorry Cherry, but I have a girlfriend and I don't want her to think I was cheating on her or anything." Pony says. She nods.

"Oh, is this your girlfriend?" She asks pointing to me.

I shake my head no, feeling my insides squirm, "I'm with Dallas. I'm sorry he made you uncomfortable."

"It's alright, I've experienced worse," she nods, "he'll get what's coming to him." Cherry turns back in her chair to face the movie.

We go back under the fence and through the field, the night's cold breath brushing past us. As we pass Johnny's house we can hear screaming and yelling. He stops and stares at the house.

"I hate it when my folks are fighting." I offer my hand to him, a friendly gesture. He takes it and squeezes it hard.

"Why don't you just come home with us and sleep on the couch?" I ask gently, as if not to spook him.

"I thought you were sleeping there," He looks down at the dirt under his feet.

"I'll sleep on the floor. Looks to me you need a good night's rest more than I do." He nods as he glances up at me. My heart feels like it's breaking as I stare into a thousand stars in his eyes that cry out in pain. "It'll be okay someday, Johnny," I whisper, squeezing his hand back as we walk away, "I promise."

We walk up the front steps and into the house. Opening the door, I see Darry stand up.

"Where have you been?" He asks Pony.

"Darry, they were at the movies, but look they're home in one piece." I speak up a little, my voice still low. I feel my body become tense as I step into the house, the atmosphere full of anger. Ponyboy walks down the hallway to the bathroom as Johnny takes a seat on the couch. Darry follows behind Pony, his muscles tightening.

"And I couldn't even call the cops because you two would be in a boy's home so fast it would make your head spin."

"I'm sorry, I forgot." Ponyboy says pushing by Darry.

"I can't remember, I forgot, that's all I ever hear from you!"

"Lay off Darry." Sodapop says quietly.

"You shut your mouth. I'm sick of you always sticking up for him!" Darry yells.

"Don't you yell at him!" Ponyboy yells. I see Darry turn quickly around to Pony. I get caught in between the two and I'm struck with a blow that knocks the air out of me. I regain my balance and try to breathe.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to." Darry says immediately.

"I know. You meant to hit Pony." I mutter, catching my breath finally.

"I didn't mean to hit anyone - I just -"

"Darry, it's okay. Just apologize to your brothers. They're obviously the ones hurting." I step outside. I can hear soft murmurs coming from inside the house, maybe for once they'll actually notice each other's feelings. I hear feet hitting the pavement, but it's to dark to see anything out here.

"Hey," someone says quietly. As they step closer I see that's it's Dallas. I turn away from him, feeling my cheeks heat up. "What's the matter with you?"

"Just go find some other girl to hit on."

"Oh, come on," he rolls his eyes, "I just got back from Buck's, thought you might want to see me." He turns me to face him and leans in. "You still said that you are my girlfriend," Dallas smirks.

"What?"

"I stopped by to see Tim. After we were all out of punches he told me what happened."

I sigh and wrap my arms around him, feeling the sadness in my body stir. His body is warm against mine, but he doesn't return the embrace, nonetheless I just want to stand here for a little while longer. Against my wishes, he backs away and sits down on the porch steps. Rubbing my arms, I take a seat next to him.

"So, why did you leave Buck's?"

"Well, I just started to feel sick when I got there man. Must of been the Chinese food, guess I'm just not used to it." He shrugs.

I laugh lightly, "Like you weren't used to the chopsticks?"

He chuckles, "Exactly."