FOURTEEN

The school nurse gave me a once over with knowing eyes, but signed the permission slip anyway. I thanked her and quickly left the sick bay, passing the permission of absence slip to the front desk and signing my name out for the day. After what happened in the pool storeroom with Nico, I wanted to be anywhere but on school grounds right now. Just seeing that brick building made me want to hurl my guts all over the school pavement.

Hefting my backpack onto my shoulders, I soon made my way home. The familiar building comforted me, and I smiled slightly when I saw the ageing silver sedan sitting out the front. As my keys clanged on the metal security screen at the front of my house, I heard the sound of footsteps approaching from inside the house, dropping my keys into my pocket as I waited for the person to open the door.

"Wes? What are you doing home so early?" my mum asked immediately, her tired brow creasing as she pulled me inside, pressing her hand against my forehead. "Are you sick? You don't seem to have a fever." I laughed at her worried face, giving her a hug before making my way into the kitchen, dumping my bag beside the island counter and moving to sit on one of the stools. My mum hovered around me, giving me concerned glances as she poured me a glass of juice, sliding over a packet of store-bought cookies my way. 

"I'm fine, really, mum. I just felt a little sick before, but on the way home it cleared up," I lied, casting my eyes away from my mum, a little guilty for lying to her when she was so obviously concerned about me. Leanne Dillon just sighed, pulling the zip-up hoodie around her torso tight around her as she walked over to me to pat the top of my head, giving my temple a quick kiss. Looking up at her again, I found her worried expression relieved, even if only slightly. 

People often said that we looked alike, and I could see why; before I bleached my hair, we shared the same light brown shade that was slightly wavy after a good wash. I had inherited her warm brown eyes and softer facial features, though my chin was a little sharper and my lips not as plump. Otherwise, our faces were similar, though Leanne had laugh lines around the corners of her eyes and dark bags beneath them. She looked tired, though she always had a gentle smile on her face and a little glimmer in her eye. 

"Look after yourself, Wes," mum said, giving my cheek a tender pinch as I sipped my juice. "I already have Jamie to worry about, I don't want to have to worry about you as well."

"You don't," I said, giving my mum a hug around her middle again, the woman laughing. 

"Oh, by the way, Wes," mum suddenly said, clapping her hands together before rummaging through her handbag, which was slung on the back of one of the chairs in the kitchen. Clicking her tongue as she sorted through her belongings, she let out a tiny 'aha' as she pulled a folded brochure out, passing it to me. I gave her a questioning look, the older woman just gesturing for me to look at it, an excited smile on her face. Looking down at the small paper in my hands, I was confused since it was an advertisement for a small beach resort in Sorrento, a small town about two hours away from the city by car. 

"Looks nice?" I offered, raising a brow as mum just laughed, stepping behind me to hug my shoulders, her chin resting on the top of my head. "And you're showing me this because...?"

"How do you feel about going on a little holiday over the long weekend next week? You, me, dad and Jamie. Your dad's coming back from London for the weekend," mum said, my mouth popping open. The four of us had rarely gone on holidays before, even just local trips out of town. Since dad was always on business trips, our breaks and his never really matched up so we never travelled anywhere and just stayed at home to spend time together. Mum also rarely got time off work at the hospital as well, and usually opted to work over long weekends for extra pay. The thought of being able to spend a few days out of town with my family made me smile, growing excited as I flicked through the brochure, nodding.