Chapter 68: One Way Back

Sunny immediately fell to the ground, clutching her head with both hands as if she had an intense headache. "Sunny!" I called out both horrified and worried, pulling her into my lap and cradling her as if she was my own kid. She was cold but slowly turning warm with each passing second. I felt her shake and shiver. "What's happening to her?"  I faced Robert.

"Her body is adjusting back to it's human form," Emmitt replied. "Dead human form."

Sunny began huffing and breathing in as much air as she could. She started to reach her hand upwards, trying to stand. I got up and held onto her so that we were both standing. She grabbed the collar of my shirt, still breathing. I was so relieved to see that a weary smile had formed on her lips. Her eyes finally met mine. "You are so stupid," she laughed then coughed. Her knees buckled and she fell back to the ground. Robert came over and rested his hand on her shoulder.

"She has to rest a bit," Robert said then looked at her. "Take it easy."

"Easy?" Sunny breathed, holding onto her chest. It seemed as she was in pain, though the lovely suicide children had no heart or were alive, she felt some sort of pain. "Your mom is going to come after you. All of us. She saw us."

"She wh-" Emmitt froze and looked around frantically. "Where's Julia?"

I was so happy Sunny was here that I forgot about what had happened. Julia was gone. Dread took over my entire body. I could feel the tears starting to pour down my cheek as I told Emmitt what had happened. He was speechless and so was everyone else. I could feel Emmitts eyes staring at me filled of hate. Robert stepped in between us and broke the tense stare. "We have to act now. No more waiting."

"But Julia-" Emmitt started to yell.

Robert grabbed his arm and looked deep into his eyes. "If you want to save her, and everyone else then work with us. She has Julia. Now we have to do our parts."

Emmitt and the others remained quiet, looking from Robert to me. With all eyes on me, I suddenly forgot what I had to do. I wiped my tears away and shrugged, feeling like I everything was against me. I wasn't sure what to do next because all I thought about was Julia. Looking at the others-what if I couldn't save them?

Sunny coughed again before talking. "We have to find a way to go back," she spoke slowly, breathing deeply in between words. 

"Won't she take us?" Casper asked.

Bee stepped in, wiping tears. "Yeah, she already got Julia."

Sunny looked at Bee. "And she'll take a lot more, slaving them to do her dirty work. We have to destroy that place."

"Destroy that place?" Bee asked. "How? It's not like we can make it vanish."

"But we can," Sunny looked up at me. "That place with the crows, it's familiar. I know it sounds weird, but I used to play in that field before I died."

"And?" Emmitt asked abruptly, almost yelling. "We can't destroy it. She'll catch us."

"We can't," Sunny yelled back before looking at me. "But you can. You have to find that place and...burn it. The whole field. It's giving your mother power, a way to bring in others, and it's making her powerful-it's like a portal and access for her to gain more power. Once that field is gone, it can give us time to stop her while she's powerless."

"What? There's only one field, Sunny," I told her.

"It's on Earth." She replied back.

"I can't just-it's on Earth!" 

"And you can leave," Sunny said. "You are still alive on Earth. But you don't have much time."

"I don't know if...we can do this." I said. "What if it doesn't work?"

"Yeah," Emmitt said. "What if it doesn't work and we all end up like Julia? Or worse. Crows!"

"She made it this far," Sunny said. "now we just have to finish what we started. The gateway for the crows is that field. Those parts are her powers. Without them, she won't be who she is. We must break that entrance, at least for now then stop her as fast as possible."

Emmitt clapped his hands together. "Great, now how is she going to get back to Earth unseen and burn a field then come back?" He said.

Robert nodded, looking at me with pain in his eyes. "That's right. Once you leave this time, there's only one way back."