IV

Helencia Castle, Lysithea

"Your majesty, it appears we have a slight problem," the King's advisor said, as King Cerberus looked up from his stack of paperwork. "Yes, Aspen?" he answered as his head advisor wrung his hands. "Recently my king, there have been rumors of hunters from the human colony that are sneaking into our borders and stealing resources. It has occurred quite a few times in the past few nights, although what's been stolen are trivial, easy to carry things."

The King tsked. "How typical of those human scoundrels to steal from our nation. However, I feel sympathy for the the human people, as they are under a tyrannical rule. Aspen, please assign more soldiers to guard the kingdom's walls, and reinforce any that are crumbling. I haven't an idea how these hunters are sneaking by, but it poses a risk to our people."

Cerberus sighed, his brain dizzy trying to think of a solution. Negotiating with the humans would be fruitless. The neighbouring kingdom had such archaic, notoriously fiendish morals that would never agree with Lysithea's. It had been the reason behind the War of Independence, and the high border walls that surrounded most of the kingdom.

"Cyan, please take this up with the council. I would much like to find a means to increase our national security without raising taxes for civilians. Damian, please report on your findings of Asteaia."
"Of course, your majesty. I found several problems with the human town. The town has little integrity and patriotism, with many living off your charity. Turmoil and resent towards your rule is dwelling, my lord. I have scheduled a visit to the orphanage run by Lady Celia as well. The humans, as I'm sure you expected my King, are as blind to this nations proceedings as ever. If I may be so bold, I may suggest some way to unite our peoples. I think it would end much of the unrest within the human colony."

King Cerberus pondered the notion for a minute. "I approve of the idea, Damian but I worry about what it could bring on our nation. The realization of the history of this nation could spark a war among our people. Our human population might become fearful of the rest of the kingdom, and make them wary of our monarchy. Lysithea is growing ever wealthier as it prospers, and although I strongly concur with this recommendation, I am fearful of the consequences it may have on our people. That is why we have blind-sighted and secluded our human population in the first place. Humans tend to be highly opinionated, close-minded and self-righteous, who knows what sanctimonious twaddle they would induce on our kingdom."

The advisors nodded, understanding the King's cautionary stance on the matter. After all, King Cerberus had to the welfare of the entire nation to govern, not just the humans. He was from an earlier time, when the humans had exterminated their kind like insects. He was familar with the brutality humans were capable of. His advisors stood, bowing before heading to the door.

"Wait," the King spoke as the three advisors turned around. "As I'm sure you three know, I am getting up in years" Cerberus spoke as the men's faces blanched. "King Cerberus, you mustn't speak so apathetically about such a subject," Cyan whispered, horror twinging his tone. "Ah yes, but it is inevitable my friends, it is a fact of life. I just wanted you to know, that I have preparations in place when the day does come" he answered as the advisors nodded. The King held up an empty letter, the parchment blue and incredibly elaborate. The letter was distinct, and would be easily recognizable. His advisors quickly noted the letter before bowing once again and leaving.

"I must choose a strong, righteous heir to lead my kingdom. But yet, I will face them the day that it comes" the King thought. King Cerberus had never borne any children, despite having a few dear friends throughout his reign, both male and female. He simply did not feel sexual attraction to another but instead longed for a close friend or companion. The King did not want romantic or sexual intimacy from his relationships, desiring platonic love instead. Picking up a piece of parchment, he dipped his quill into the fine black ink, hovering the fine pen over the paper illuminated by candlelight.

To my dearest heir and successor,
Although I do not know you well, I am sure without a doubt that you will be an excellent leader. I trust my advisors and the council to lead you onto the path of greatness. Dearest heir, let your love for Lysithea guide you on your journey to becoming sovereign. Be not tyrannical, nor selfish in your ways, and learn to love our kingdom as much as I have. No man or woman or person is born perfect, and understanding this is important to become a just and fair ruler. Pride is the enemy of man and progress. Be not stubborn in your actions nor thoughts.
Remember piety and propriety are not always virtuous. Do not let hate or prejudice lead you astray or darken your mind. You are strong and will be surrounded by love. Your Regent, Lord Aspen will help you in your royal learnings. He is a man of good morals and good actions. He will be more than a suitable mentor. Lord Cyan and Lord Damian will be your advisors, and shall also assist you, and you shall thrive under their tutelage. Be not afraid to learn or accept assistance, even as the future ruler. 
My dear heir, there are many atrocities that are committed in the world, but refuse to let that dwindle your hope. Perfection is, after all, the enemy of progress. I implore you to continue to change and develop the freedom to the benefit of all the Lysithean people. There will always be hatred and evil, but let that not stop you in your quest for justice. There is men who cut down men like grass, others selling people to each other as prisoners or slaves. Refuse to bow down and submit to this savagery and wickedness. Let others love without borders. After all, the magnificence of any painting cannot be confined to a frame.
I have chosen you to lead the Lysithean people and ensure the prosperity and happiness of our great nation. I hope that someday, under your guidance, our kingdom can learn from errs of the past. That we as beings can let others live and let live. That all life will be precious, all need will not be ignored and we can love freely without barriers. When I die, I shall hope and believe that change will come when I am gone.

To your reign, hope, and a better future.
His Majesty, King Cerberus of Lysithea.

Finishing the letter, the King sealed it into the envelope, stamping the royal seal onto the backing. Setting the letter down on the mahogany desk, he stood striding to the door. Leaving from the room, the candle flickered on the King's desk, before going out completely.