Chapter 23

Kathy walked to the car. Paul smiled as he saw her. She waved as she approached then climbed in beside him.

"Thanks for waiting. Hope I wasn't too long."

"No, not a all. I've been finishing some lyrics so sitting here so the peace has helped no end." He looked at her. He was surprised to see she seemed distracted, only half listening. This wasn't like her at all, "Kathy?" He tapped her hand. She turned to him. "Kathy, are you OK?"

She looked vaguely at him. "Sorry?"

"Kathy," he was concerned now, "Talk to me. Are you alright? You seem a bit distant."

She smiled. "No, I'm OK. The doctor ran a lot of tests. It felt like it took hours so I've gone so tired all of a sudden. If it's OK with you, I think I'll go and have a lie down when we get in."

Nodding, Paul started then engine. Every so often he glanced at her. She still seemed lost, deep in thought. As they reached the house, he stopped the car then caught her hand. "Kathy. Look I don't want to interfer but are things OK with the baby? You said the doctor ran some tests and now you're being like this. She's not told you anything bad has she, the doctor I mean?"

She shook her head. "No. Everything is fine. Like I said Paul, I'm just exhausted. I think the last few days is catching up on me!"

Still not convinced, Paul let the subject go. Pulling the car into the drive way. They both entered the house. Once in the hallway, he stopped Kathy. "Are you going up straight away?"

Nodding, she thanked him again for waiting for her before heading upstairs. She went into her room and closed the door. She undressed to just her underwear then stood by the mirror. She turned sidewards then placed her hand on her stomach and stroked it. There was a definate bump now. Maybe learning that there was now two babies inside her had altered her view? She sat on the edge of the bed and leant forward, so she was closer to her bump.

"Hello there, my two little boys. I can say that now because I've just been told there's two of you inside me. Two little boys that I already love dearly. I've decided that your names are Daniel and Jacob. Those are the names I know your daddy would like too." she whispered, "Now I'm your mummy. I'm Kathy and I've been taliking to you for a long time so I hope you're getting used to my voice. Your daddy is George but you won't hear his voice until you come out into the same world as me. I'm so so sorry but you will be different from other little boys because you will only have a mummy at home to care for you. That doesn't mean you won't be loved though. I have more than enough love for both of you, so don't worry. You will see daddy sometimes though and I know he will love you both very much.

Do you know you gave me a shock this morning? When the doctor told me there was two babies, I was stunned but I'm happy now. I worry too though! What am I going to do with two of you? How will I manage two of you?

I just hope you'll be patient as I learn how to be a mummy. OK?" 

Smiling to herself, she kicked off her shoes and slipped on a looser fitting dress and lay on her bed, her hands rested protectively on her stomach. Suddenly being pregnant seemed so much more real and, much to her delight, exciting! She was becoming more and more excited about what was happening to her. Kathy imagined George's face hearing the news she was carrying twins. She had to admit that Daniel and Jacob had a nice ring to them. They were names they had chosen together one day, sat cuddled up on the sofa in George's flat. They were talking about how many children they would like. George had said he'd love two little boys called Daniel and Jacob. Would she give them the name Marshall or Harrison she wondered suddenly. Oh Daniel and Jacob, you've given me so much to think about already! She closed her eyes, trying to imagine what her boys might look like. She fell asleep quickly..