Severus's Favor

Lily grudgingly held out a cup of water and sat down on the front steps of the Evans's house. She was wearing pyjamas and slippers she'd stepped into before sneaking down the stairs. She'd been inclined to tell Severus to go away, to slam shut her bedroom window and not even give him the time of the day -- but something in Lily was too kind for that, and she had stilled her hands long enough for him to choke out a strangled "please, Evans". But she had drawn the line at letting him inside her home. She brought the water out to him instead, and sat down, not waiting for him to do the same, and stared at the toes of her shoes. 

He gulped the water as though he hadn't had a drop in months. When he finished, he lowered the glass and stepped timidly over to where she'd sat down, her back to him, and he dropped next to her on the step. She scooted as far away as the width of the stoop would allow her, and turned her face away.

Severus held the glass between his knees as he leaned forward, his elbows on his thighs. Out of the corner of her eye, Lily could see he was quite a lot thinner than usual, and perhaps even paler - or maybe it was the moonlight playing tricks on her. His cheeks were sunken, though, that was for sure,and the skin hung at his jowls a little loose.

"You haven't been eating properly," she said stiffly, and she snuffled into her sweater cuff. "What do they feed you at that ruddy school?"

"I haven't been," he replied.

Lily looked over. "You haven't been to school?"

"No," Severus didn't look up. He was spinning the glass between his fingers.

"Where have you been, then?"

"Hiding, mostly," Severus answered with a shrug.

Lily tilted her head, "Hiding?"

"From Voldemort."

"Rubbish," she said, rolling her eyes. "You're on his team."

"Not after last year," he said quickly, and he looked up at her. His dark black eyes were cold, but Lily could see the truth in them -- and the fear. "Not since I fouled up his plan and --" 

"Saved James Potter's life?" Lily finished.

Severus scowled and looked away.

"What?" She demanded, "Do you regret it?"

Severus said flatly, "I owed it to him."

"Yes you did. And you owe a good deal more to me, too, for all the rubbish you put me through trying to get him back. And everyone else in the Resistance for saving your arse in Havmork!" Lily felt her cheeks getting hot with anger. She glowered at Severus Snape. "Yet I don't hear a think you coming out of you!"

Severus was silent.

Lily stood up. "You should go. Goodnight."

"Wait."

Severus had grabbed her hand.

Lily wrenched herself out of his grasp. "Let -- go -- of -- me," she said the words very firmly.

Severus stood up, too, turning to face her. "Listen, even if you don't have it in your heart to give me a second chance --"

"A second chance! Severus, you've had a gazillion chances! I very stupidly just keep giving you chances when you don't deserve them! Oodles of chances for years and years. I've overlooked so many rotten, nasty things you've done, but Severus -- working for You Know Who, allowing an innocent boy to be kidnapped --"

"Innocent?" Severus scoffed.

"You know what I mean," she growled.

He stared at her, his eyes searching hers. "You like him."