Chapter One Hundred and Three - Our Final Hour

Mass multiplayer online role play games of MMORPG's have a huge grip on the entertainment market, making billions in revenue and stimulating imaginations across generations.  Still the most popular genre of MMORPG has to be the fantasy genre, where players wield swords and utilise magic.  Most of the top ten favoured MMORPG games are set in this genre, including Lost Legends and Magic, Myths and Monsters.

Not to be ignored, however is the impressive array of Science Fiction MMORPG's.  These are usually set in space, which therefore gives them an ever expanding universe to play with, fantastic technologies to drool over and spaceships to utilise as transport and weapons.  Recently coming third in the top ten favoured MMORPG's is Galactic Battles and it's popularity is only set to rise.

But breaking into the top ten, the lesser known Our Final Hour MMORPG has been quietly rising through the ranks since its release and is now proving its value.  Set in a post apocalyptic era, this first person MMORPG has been winning fans across the globe, though only its European Servers can compete with the Servers of other well known games at this time.  Let's not mix this up with a Zombie Apocalyptic Era, however, there's no need to destroy endless waves of undead here!  Our Final Hour focuses mainly on how humanity will deal with dwindling resources.  That might have become its downfall in terms of gameplay, however the imaginative boffins of Our Final Hour's producing company Pure Technologies, added 'dimensional rifts' to the game as part of its history and to act as dungeons and battlegrounds would in a fantasy type MMORPG.

Speaking of Apocalyptic Era's, the Apocalypse Convention is about to begin.  This relatively new event celebrates all types of Apocalyptic books, games and movies.  So naturally representatives of Our Final Hour have been invited to attend. 

In other news, Black Operations, one of the best known game creators have announced...

*****

Just as music festivals seemed to be popping up all over the place and becoming even greater in frequency, so were conventions, celebrating comics and manga and movies and cult games.  The Apocalypse Convention had only been running for three years, so it was fairly new as an event.  It had been created by an anonymous billionaire, who was amused by all of the predictions about the end of the world, so had set up the convention celebrating all movies, books and games that were about the end of the world and what happens next.  The date he chose for this convention happened to coincide with the prediction for that year.  It turned out to be pretty popular.

The crowds attempting to enter were by far larger than those of previous years, for this year a few well known authors of books set in this genre had been invited to speak or to sign books.  A small time actor, who had three lines in the movie "The End As We Knew It," was also attending.  And as a new sponsor, Our Final Hour had set up stage for live battles in dimensional rifts that are due to open and invited a few large in game guilds, known as factions to play.

Our Final Hour was played in the first person and could be played on various major consoles.  Servers were regionalised and large numbers of players could play on each.  On the stage was ten consoles, allowing for two teams of five to compete.  There was no professional league for Our Final Hour so all of the players were casual gamers and most likely had a life outside of the game.

The stage was set beside a large screen, which displayed a crumbling skyscraper, it's shattered windows reflecting the light of a red sun.  Sand swept across a vehicle that was merely four wheels and a steel frame.  A person covered from head to toe in protective clothing, goggles and heavy boots trudged through the sand and grabbed a bottle of water from their belt.  It was stolen in a flash by a mob of punk like characters riding motorised buggies with large wheels and laughing over his misfortune.  Only their wheels were shot out by a sniper from inside the skyscraper.  They were ambushed!  And then began a battle between the punks and another group, pipes clashed against swords, baseball bats clashed against bin lids and guns blasted bullets into anybody that moved.  These were the opening credits of Our Final Hour.