Chapter 35

This is a chapter that shows a little preview of an upcoming book — just to get you into the couple. I've done it with Rosie and Oscar before and you guys seemed to like it so here is one for Matteo. Not all of my couples will be previewed. Only the ones that I can preview... others will be with characters that you'll meet only in the actual book. Let me know your thoughts anyway :)

~~

Matteo

I stalked down the long hallway with my footsteps heavy against the ground. My head was held high as I passed workers and various maids. They gave me their sweet smiles and bowed their heads which I returned proudly.

I loved being in this Estate, with the people, with the strength that Alessandro held.

He was the King.

And we all knew him like that. Though I had been his close friend ever since we were children — I still held great respect for him, and for what he'd done for every single one of us.

Not a single man could ever replace him.

He lost Elena when Antonio attacked the Estate and he swore that he would never allow that bastard to ruin his life again.

And I knew that he wouldn't. Especially now that Eva had come into his life. He wouldn't let the same thing happen again.

Eva was like his saving grace. She'd waltzed into his life — or rather stumbled obliviously — and she had taken the darkness from his heart and replaced it with love and light.

I wanted something like that.

A woman to love, that will love me in the same way.

Someone sweet and delicate, loving and kind.

I'd grown up learning to be strong and powerful. A woman was never mentioned; all that was mentioned, was my place in the Mafia and my violent place in society.

But I've been feeling as though I am missing something from my life. As if there was a gaping hole in my heart.

I walked towards the kitchen and stopped in my tracks when I noticed a maid cleaning the counter.

Though her eyes were glued to the counter — I noticed her piercing blue orbs, standing out above everything else. Her soft hair was pinned back in some kind of low messy bun.

She didn't notice me so I took the time to watch her. Her lips were pressed together and her eyes narrowed absentmindedly as she hummed a soft tune with her mouth. I smiled to myself.

I'd seen her around the Estate. I knew nothing about her — not even her name. However I found myself being attracted to her in some strange way.

After she finished wiping the counter, her eyes slowly moved upwards until she abruptly caught sight of my shadowy figure standing in the door-frame.

A surprised gasp left her mouth and she lay her hand on her chest, stumbling backwards in shock until she regained her posture. "Gosh," she blew out a heavy breath. "You scared the light out of me."

Her voice was feminine and delicate. My face couldn't help but blossom into a wide smile. Her innocence captured my heart and I wasn't afraid to admit it.

I stepped into the kitchen and looked at her with a facial expression, a mixture of cheekiness and apology. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to."

The young maid inhaled a sharp breath and her eyes raked down my body. Curiously. Until they locked back on my own and her voice came out shyly.