17

"Crap," Claire muttered under her breath

"Crap," Claire muttered under her breath. Her knuckles gripped the steering wheel so tight that the color had drained from her hands. She swallowed hard as her eyes flickered back and forth between the road and her wheel.

"Claire? What's wrong?" Arryn asked. A hint of worry lay hidden in her voice as her heart increased its beats.

Large droplets of rain pelted the windshield as the wipers struggled to keep up with the downpour. Murky water bubbled up from the overflowing drains—which were clogged with leaves and trash, flooding the streets. Fallen tree branches littered the roadway, splintered into smaller sticks from the impact of the fall. The flood's current lead some of the branches astray as they floated down the street.

A sputtering sound came from the engine. Her heart froze, becoming hard as stone in her chest. She could feel the car's speed decreasing.

"We're out of gas," Claire groaned, pulling the car onto the shoulder of the road. When the vehicle came to a complete stop, she rested her head against the steering wheel for a second. Her white knuckles still held onto the wheel. "I didn't even think to check. With everything that's been going on."

"That's great," Austin muttered. His shoulders rose and fell as he let out an irritated huff. "Where are we anyway?"

"We just left Richmond a few minutes ago. I think the nearest gas station is a couple miles away," Claire answered.

"Well, we can't just sit here. We'd be an express meal waiting to happen." Austin fiddled around with his gun, loading new shells into the clip.

"You're not going alone," Arryn said.

He snapped the magazine back in place, peering his gaze around the vehicle. "Someone can come with me, and someone can stay here with Trinity. I'll leave the only other gun I have."

"What do you want to do Claire?" Arryn asked.

"I'll stay here. I-I need a second," she responded with her voice breaking. Her chest rose and fell as she inhaled and exhaled deep breaths.

Arryn understood what she meant. Claire had lost everything. Her whole family had been eaten before her eyes. Her little sister, Lysa, had only been ten.

I'll take a second when I find my dad.

That, besides keeping Trinity safe, was the only thing keeping her going right now. Lincoln and her mother had both turned into ravenous, flesh-hungry beasts who didn't even know who she was anymore. It hurt to even think about them.

"I'll go with him. Just keep Trinity safe." She outstretched her hand, giving Claire a comforting pat on the shoulder.

"Thank you," Claire whispered appreciatively.

"Always," Arryn replied. She moved  her hand away from Claire's shoulder.

"If you need a weapon there's a metal bat in the trunk. Lysa was supposed to have a softball game tomorrow. One of the best batters on the team," Claire said softly. A pained expression sat in her eyes as a tear rolled down her cheek.