20

Danny had a plan—a terrible plan. It was so terrible he hoped Clockwork would intervene.

"I can do this," he muttered. It wasn't convincing, but the small infraction made him more confident.

He let light pass over him, and he felt the alien sensation of a living heartbeat. It drummed against his chest until he remembered to breathe. He was human again.

He turned, opening the door to the study slowly. Dick froze, turning rigidly to the older teen. For a moment, Danny's mouth failed him.

"I heard music," he said softly. His eyes stung, and he remembered humans needed to blink. "I thought everyone was asleep."

"You're not Alfred," Dick said obviously.

"No," Danny chuckled, "I'm Danny. I play the piano."

"That's you," Dick asked incredulously, awe sparking in his eyes. "Can you teach me?"

"I don't play many happy songs." Danny smiled, sliding onto the piano stool next to the boy, taking over the keys that would trigger the secret passage.

"I don't care, I like your music." Dick happily let Danny scoot him over if it would mean recreating the mysterious melodies that lulled him into sleep.

"Really? I was afraid they'd be too haunting for a kid." Danny expressed his concern, but Dick didn't waver in his excitement.

"Well, maybe a little, but they're nice after awhile," Dick admitted, "it helps me sleep."